[Owasp-leaders] don't allow explicit discrimination 🙏🏿 (women only)

Avi D (OWASP Israel) avi.douglen at owasp.org
Fri Mar 15 09:32:44 UTC 2019

Thank you folks for the support and constructive suggestions.

I agree with you Bjoern, though we would not bar males from joining the training there is definitely much to be said for the atmosphere in women groups as Prashant said.

As far as financial discrimination… Not sure how much support there would have been for more free trainings :)

However trainers can grant one seat in their own course to anyone they want – I personally would be happy to encourage them to “donate” it to those underrepresented groups, but that is really their own personal choice (and affects their income, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  )

Also while these may not be exactly student-affordable prices, it is very cheap compared to other events. We have some excellent courses that are being sold at 2 or 3 times the price, at eg Blackhat. It is really a great opportunity to get great training relatively cheap…

Regarding Kevin’s suggestions: we did reach out to several (many) women and PoC to submit talks and trainings. Having an inclusive and supportive environment is absolutely essential for that to even work though…

Additionally, we are trying to get sponsorships (here: https://telaviv.appsecglobal.org/docs/Global_AppSec_Tel_Aviv_2019_Sponsorship_Opportunities.pdf , wink wink!) for diversity scholarships as well! Would be greatly appreciative if you (and everyone) would share this with anyone that can help support this…

Cheers,

Avi D