[Owasp-leaders] [balint:7970] Re: Getting started with Meetup

Timur 'x' Khrotko [owasp] timur at owasp.org
Fri Feb 1 00:04:24 UTC 2019

Thanks for the idea to decorate the chapter wiki page with the large
meetupcom badge (it reflects my approach))!

Martín, :) you caught me, indeed I don't know what, I know that it will
make Matt happy which is a desirable outcome. I guess that it's possible to
insert certain code - known to Matt - into the wiki that will pull in
meetupcom events onto the page (that will make Dawn happy)). Actually I
tried to avoid going into it deeper as I aggressively promote the idea that
wiki chapter pages must die. <cut>

Jim, also important is that meetupcom provides no instruments to promote
your group, so it has to grow organically. So you may have to fight with a
chickenegg problem. There will be a critical point when actual meetups will
bring more members into the group which will make your group more popular
and bring more members. Imo the trick is how to ignite gathering of the
first one hundred members. I would cooperate with other meetup groups to
make a couple of joint meetups, like IoT security with an IoT meetup group,
JS secure development with a JS group (those are large groups). Then unique
topics will make the next stage of growth successful.

A sidenote: Imo we could create a project to specify halfbaked meetups,
that chapters can implement. Topics, agendas, probably ready to use google
presentations and speaker notes. The real meat that OWASP would like to
push into the masses in 2019-2021. Instead of counting four CTF meetups as
great achievements. ,)