[Owasp-leaders] [balint:7407] Re: [OWASP-chapters] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Thu Sep 13 21:35:24 UTC 2018

Note: Please excuse the brevity - having worked yesterday from ~8 AM to 4
AM the next day, I'm quite tired and will be brief.  Also, for full
disclosure, I stopped looking at this thread days ago as it wasn't
providing constructive, helpful and gracious suggestions.  I choose to
spend my time helping the community in other constructive ways.  I got this
reply earlier today so apparently, that was a wise choice:

*No need to thank me, we're all working to make OWASP great again (as a
brand new chapter leader I'm a bit surprised about all the discussions
going on, but happy to put in some work to make things great/smooth again).*

Timor:  You should know better then your post seems to indicate.  The
DEFAULT method that staff uses when interacting with the community is
"Assume no ill intent".  I wish the community shared that perspective
consistently.  You and I spoke in Krakow if memory serves me well - do you
think any staff member would actively work against Chapters?

I took a few minutes to look into OWASP Hungary - pretended I had just
moved there and wanted to check out if OWASP has something there.
Google'ing "OWASP Hungary" the first page of results includes

(1) The Chapter Wiki page <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Hungary>:
Looking at the history of that wiki page
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Hungary&action=history>, there are
only two periods of edits in 2018 so it doesn't appear all that active.  It
does say on that page:

> This page is in *ARCHIVE* status, the current chapter page is on
> *MEETUP.com*. Please jump to the *meetup.com
> <http://www.meetup.com/OWASP-HU/>* page for the meetups schedule,
> community and contacts.

Ok, lets look at the Meetup page - its apparently the official place for
OWASP Hungary...

(2)The OWASP HU meetup page <https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-HU/>: There are
no upcoming meetups <https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-HU/events/> and the most
recent past event <https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-HU/events/past/> is from
November 21, 2017

I would conclude this is a dead chapter.  I think most reasonable people
would reach the same conclusion.

Dawn initially marked the chapter inactive -per the Chapter Handbook
requirement of 4 meetings per year.  Tiffany reversed that and reactivated
the chapter.  There were some wiki edits but there's still no easily
discover able way to know the chapter is having meetings.  It sure appears
dead from the outside.  Officially, Hungary is still listed as an Active
Chapter.

The broader AppSec community isn't served when we have stale or dead
resources on our wiki - I did the same thing for our Github org - I archived
dead projects <https://github.com/owasp-archives> so they weren't listed
with the 'live' ones.

I'm sorry if you are actually having meetings but the staff has no way of
knowing that short of posting to your wiki or meetup page - some place the
staff (or anyone on the Internet) can find without great effort.  I'd love
to be corrected and find out that you're having loads of great meetings -
nothing would make me happier.

BTW, if you are using Meetup on the Foundation's account, all you need to
do to get your meetup info automatically posted on the wiki page is include
the one wiki markup tag:

<meetup group="OWASP-HU" />

Anyone can be a Barbarian.  It requires a terrible effort to remain a
> civilized man -- Leonard Woolf [1]
> <https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/944654-anyone-can-be-a-barbarian-it-requires-a-terrible-effort>

Cheers!
--