[Owasp-leaders] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Ofer Maor ofer.maor at owasp.org
Wed Sep 12 18:30:25 UTC 2018

Hey All,

Jumping in a little late into this discussion (but having read through most
of it....) - a few of my thoughts:

Yes, OWASP was easier to manage in the "good old days" when we were
smaller, more idealistic, and less commercial. But that type of
reminiscence will not get us anywhere today. OWASP Has grown, considerably,
and as any other organization, as it grows, and more money gets involved,
there are more and more pressures on it, and this means we need the right
structure to support that, finding the way to keep the community spirit and
vendor neutrality, while managing pressures - both financially and
"politically". I am all in favor for Josh's call for Committee. I know the
previous committees have "derailed" into insufficient progress, but I think
they had their good times too, and I think there's room to bring them back
to life.

Moreover, pulling from some of the discussion we had on the slack channel,
I think as the organization grows, and as the "value" of being a "Chapter
Leader" is growing (people want that on their resume now....), we need to
find a better way to vet new chapters. One of my suggestions (which of
course needs more hashing out from its initial thought) is to create a
tiered, merit based approach, where people will have some framework to
create a "chapter candidate" - which requires them to put in effort and
deliver results (i.e. create meetings with enough attendance etc), but
without giving them too much credit upfront, and without invoking the
"heavy" operational side. These chapter-candidates will not have a budget,
they can not have members allocate it to them, nor will they get any
financial support. They will only get some basic rights to use the name and
logo of OWASP for the meetup. Once they have passed through certain barrier
requirements (to be defined by the chapters committee and approved by the
board if needed), they will be able to become a chapter.

This will provide individuals, from one hand, an easier way to start-up a
local OWASP activity without going through the entire process, but will
also limit the load on the foundation staff, and also make it harder for
people to abuse the system for their personal gain (free conference
admission, bogus titles, etc.).

Bottom line - I'm all for it.

Ofer.