[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Zoe Braiterman zoe.braiterman at owasp.org
Mon Sep 10 10:12:58 UTC 2018


Hi Josh and all,

I agree with @Josh and support the proposal. So far, the WIA Committee is
the only OWASP Committee set to be run under the Committees 2.0 Operational
Model.

I definitely see the potential opportunity for value and sustainability
from an OWASP Chapters Committee, at the global and local Chapter community
levels.

>From my experience, the ongoing, extra volunteer work (online
communications and monthly global Committee calls, outside of local
meetings / events) has been worthwhile as a means of continuous
collaboration and driving the global OWASP mission. That said, many
discussions I’ve had (regarding WIA and otherwise) confirm my reasons for
agreeing. I also copy the WIA Officers inbox and WIA Committee mailing list
here.

I look forward to conintued discussion / collaboration of the Committee
Adoption, based on my perspective as both an OWASP Committee Chair and a
Brooklyn Chapter member.

Best,
Zoe



On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM Bev Corwin <bev.corwin at owasp.org> wrote:

> +1 Josh, I support Josh and will be happy to share our experiences with
> the new Brooklyn chapter.
>
> Bev
>
>
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Bil Corry <bil.corry at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Josh had the same thought, he shared the same link in the first sentence
>> of the first email in this thread:
>>
>> http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2018-September/019352.html
>>
>> - Bil
>>
>> On Sep 9, 2018, at 1:41 AM, Martin Knobloch <martin.knobloch at owasp.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> Just to make sure everyone is on the same page on the committee policy
>> and guidelines, I want to share this link:
>>
>>
>> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Governance/OWASP_Committees#OWASP_Committees_2.0_Operational_Model
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> -martin
>>
>> On Saturday, September 8, 2018, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This is exactly the kind of issues we are trying to address with this
>>> committee.  If you have a question about how something should work or want
>>> advice on how to do something, that shouldn't go into a support queue and
>>> wait weeks for a response from a staff member.  Instead, my proposal would
>>> leverage regional and global leaders with actual experience running
>>> chapters to help answer these questions.  Even better, as a new chapter
>>> leader, you should be partnered with a mentor from one one of our more
>>> experienced chapters to help coach you.
>>>
>>> Any of our Chapter Leaders, or anyone else for that matter, interested
>>> in furthering this cause, we don't need the Board or ED's approval to do
>>> so.  I've started a new #chapters channel in Slack for that purpose.  Come
>>> and join us:
>>>
>>>
>>> https://join.slack.com/t/owasp/shared_invite/enQtNDI5MzgxMDQ2MTAwLTEyNzIzYWQ2NDZiMGIwNmJhYzYxZDJiNTM0ZmZiZmJlY2EwZmMwYjAyNmJjNzQxNzMyMWY4OTk3ZTQ0MzFhMDY
>>>
>>> It's probably worth noting, however, that despite being asked for a
>>> "civil discussion and substantive proposal", and providing what I felt was
>>> a genuinely substantive step in that direction, I received a follow-up
>>> e-mail from Karen saying that they'd like to put this proposal on hold for
>>> two months while they hold three town halls to discuss the "holistic
>>> sustainability of the foundation".  To put it another way, what I warned of
>>> in my response to Greg's e-mail is exactly what the Board and ED were
>>> looking to do, they just haven't been straightforward in their discussions
>>> about it.  These conversations have been going on in closed door meetings
>>> and private e-mail threads, and not on the OWASP-Board mailing list in the
>>> spirit of openness and transparency.
>>>
>>> ~josh
>>>
>>> On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM John Patrick Lita <
>>> john.patrick.lita at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi all
>>>>
>>>> I know all that we have problems with each chapters, and i hope that
>>>> the global committee will also have a program from ASEAN Region.
>>>>
>>>> My Chapter in Philippines was idle for a while. I just notice that
>>>> everytime there is a Conference in STATE no one can answer my questions or
>>>> query because everyone is busy for Conference.
>>>>
>>>> I hope the support is flexible for me as a chapter leader i have so
>>>> many question and need more guidance to make my chapter more productive and
>>>> active to the community.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 11:51 PM Travis McPeak <travis.mcpeak at gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> After discussing this with Josh, I'd like to say I misunderstood the
>>>>> intent of the committee. I was concerned that this would turn into a lot of
>>>>> endless debate with little action items. What Josh is proposing is the
>>>>> exact opposite of this.
>>>>>
>>>>> When I started as a new chapter leader, I found a surprising lack of
>>>>> resources or lots of outdated resources for me to draw on. With the volume
>>>>> of experience we all have as chapter leaders there's no reason why common
>>>>> problems like these shouldn't be addressed quickly with a
>>>>> divide-and-conquer approach. Those interested can be empowered and
>>>>> supported with the necessary resources to go make things better. I now
>>>>> believe this is the intent of the committee and I look forward to the
>>>>> awesome things that will come from a result of it.
>>>>>
>>>>> -Travis (Bay Area)
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Milton Smith <milton.smith at owasp.org>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> This seems like a great proposal to me Josh.  The committees
>>>>>> operational model looks well written and considers OWASP committee
>>>>>> organization/operations from the OWASP member perspective.  It’s great to
>>>>>> have your knowledge and the knowledge of past leaders/staff.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Clearly OWASP is experiencing some growing pains.  We are looking at
>>>>>> committees for this area but perhaps committees should be considered more
>>>>>> broadly for other areas where diverse opinion exists?  Properly
>>>>>> representing everyone’s opinions is difficult in a global organization.
>>>>>> Josh and Martin your both amazing, you’ve both been improving the security
>>>>>> space for many years, and I appreciate your leadership and enthusiasm for
>>>>>> building a better OWASP.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> —Milton
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sep 1, 2018, at 2:28 PM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Dear OWASP Leaders,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> As per the OWASP Committees 2.0 Operational Model
>>>>>> <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Governance/OWASP_Committees>,
>>>>>> approved by a vote of the OWASP Board of Directors on July 16, 2014, I
>>>>>> would like to formally propose the creation of a new "OWASP Global Chapters
>>>>>> Committee".
>>>>>>
>>>>>> My rationale for the creation of this new committee is that our
>>>>>> community has made a number of observations about inadequacies in the ways
>>>>>> our Chapters interact with the OWASP Foundation, it's Staff, and the
>>>>>> Board.  This committee would serve as a new form of governance within the
>>>>>> OWASP Foundation, cutting red tape and empowering our chapter leaders to
>>>>>> better serve the mission of OWASP while still adhering to the OWASP Core
>>>>>> Values of openness, innovation, being a global community, and integrity.
>>>>>> We will focus on strengthening the OWASP Chapters through education,
>>>>>> networking, and driving value to our members.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Topics that are within scope for the OWASP Global Chapters Committee
>>>>>> include, but are not limited to:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>    - *Leadership Requirements: *The committee will be responsible
>>>>>>    for defining requirements for new chapter leaders and create a community
>>>>>>    vetting process.
>>>>>>    - *Activity Requirements: *The committee will be responsible for
>>>>>>    defining the minimum activity requirements for chapters and will
>>>>>>    periodically review chapters for meeting those minimum requirements.
>>>>>>    - *Mentorship: *Programs will be created to pair new chapter
>>>>>>    leaders together with more experienced ones.  Budgets will be established
>>>>>>    in order to facilitate mentees attendance of mentor chapter meetings.
>>>>>>    - *Projects Partnership Tours: *To emphasize the importance of
>>>>>>    projects, a budget will be established for projects to hold regional tours
>>>>>>    of chapters where they will speak and show off their projects.
>>>>>>    - *Budgets: *The committee will be a resource for OWASP policies
>>>>>>    and procedures when it comes to the budget process and ensuring that it is
>>>>>>    being followed.  The committee will help identify opportunities for chapter
>>>>>>    leaders to spend their money.
>>>>>>    - *Policy: *The committee will review and revise the Chapter
>>>>>>    Leader Handbook on a periodic basis.  They will assess gaps in existing
>>>>>>    policies and help to create new policies or redefine existing policies to
>>>>>>    address gaps.
>>>>>>    - *Guidance: *The committee will serve to help guide other
>>>>>>    leaders with any questions that they have.  They will assist with finding
>>>>>>    speakers.  They will help to recommend topics for presentations.
>>>>>>    - *Feedback: *The committee will survey chapter leadership on
>>>>>>    pertinent topics and be a listening outlet for chapter needs.
>>>>>>    - *Conflict Resolution: *The committee will serve as a tribunal
>>>>>>    for conflicts among and between chapters.
>>>>>>    - *Local and Regional Events: *The committee will help to guide
>>>>>>    chapter leaders on how to start and run local and regional events.  A
>>>>>>    "startup" budget will be formed from existing event revenues in order to
>>>>>>    seed investment in more events, helping additional chapters to be able to
>>>>>>    raise enough money to cover their expenses and innovate.
>>>>>>    - *Board Guidance: *The committee will work with the Board on any
>>>>>>    initiatives they have as they relate to chapter policies, governance,
>>>>>>    budgets, or otherwise.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This scoping was developed by myself and Tiffany Long in an effort to
>>>>>> cover many of the issues our chapters face on a routine basis.  It is not a
>>>>>> comprehensive list and I'd certainly welcome suggestions from others in our
>>>>>> community.  Moreso, it is my hope that others will be interested in
>>>>>> participating in and contributing to this committee.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Per the Committee Creation section of the Committees 2.0 Operational
>>>>>> Model, this is now up for a community discussion with a Board vote to
>>>>>> follow.  I hereby formally request that this be added as a topic for vote
>>>>>> at the September 19th OWASP Board meeting.  Thank you.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sincerely,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Josh Sokol
>>>>>>
>>>>>> OWASP Board Member 2014-2017
>>>>>> OWASP Austin Chapter Leader
>>>>>> OWASP LASCON Conference Co-Founder
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> OWASP-Leaders mailing list
>>>>>> OWASP-Leaders at lists.owasp.org
>>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-leaders
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> OWASP-Leaders mailing list
>>>>>> OWASP-Leaders at lists.owasp.org
>>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-leaders
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> -Travis
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> OWASP-Leaders mailing list
>>>>> OWASP-Leaders at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-leaders
>>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Owasp-chapters mailing list
>>>> Owasp-chapters at lists.owasp.org
>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-chapters
>>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>> -martin
>>
>> Martin Knobloch
>> _______________________
>> OWASP Chairman of the BOD
>> OWASP Netherlands Chapter Leader
>>
>> Email:   martin.knobloch at owasp.org
>> Mobile: +31623226933
>> Web:    https://www.owasp.org
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Owasp-board mailing list
>> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Owasp-board mailing list
>> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> OWASP-Leaders mailing list
> OWASP-Leaders at lists.owasp.org
> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-leaders
>
-- 
*Zoe Braiterman*
Chair, OWASP Women in AppSec (WIA) Committee - wia at owasp.org
Vice Chair, OWASP NIST NSTIC IDESG (NNI) Initiative
Learning Lead, OWASP Mentors Initiative & Learning Gateway Project
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/attachments/20180910/878b9783/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the OWASP-Leaders mailing list