[Owasp-leaders] [OWASP-chapters] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sat Sep 8 20:45:44 UTC 2018

This is exactly the kind of issues we are trying to address with this
committee.  If you have a question about how something should work or want
advice on how to do something, that shouldn't go into a support queue and
wait weeks for a response from a staff member.  Instead, my proposal would
leverage regional and global leaders with actual experience running
chapters to help answer these questions.  Even better, as a new chapter
leader, you should be partnered with a mentor from one one of our more
experienced chapters to help coach you.

Any of our Chapter Leaders, or anyone else for that matter, interested in
furthering this cause, we don't need the Board or ED's approval to do so.
I've started a new #chapters channel in Slack for that purpose.  Come and
join us:

https://join.slack.com/t/owasp/shared_invite/enQtNDI5MzgxMDQ2MTAwLTEyNzIzYWQ2NDZiMGIwNmJhYzYxZDJiNTM0ZmZiZmJlY2EwZmMwYjAyNmJjNzQxNzMyMWY4OTk3ZTQ0MzFhMDY

It's probably worth noting, however, that despite being asked for a "civil
discussion and substantive proposal", and providing what I felt was a
genuinely substantive step in that direction, I received a follow-up e-mail
from Karen saying that they'd like to put this proposal on hold for two
months while they hold three town halls to discuss the "holistic
sustainability of the foundation".  To put it another way, what I warned of
in my response to Greg's e-mail is exactly what the Board and ED were
looking to do, they just haven't been straightforward in their discussions
about it.  These conversations have been going on in closed door meetings
and private e-mail threads, and not on the OWASP-Board mailing list in the
spirit of openness and transparency.

~josh