[Owasp-leaders] Notification of Committee Proposal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Sep 6 15:38:18 UTC 2018

Karen,

To be blunt, no, I do not agree with this approach.  We have a well defined
process for the purpose of committees, how to create them, and how to
govern them.  In the Introduction section of the OWASP Committees 2.0
Operational Model, we explicitly state:

There is a disconnect amongst OWASP Leadership in terms of determining who
> is empowered to make decisions for our organization. It is our belief that
> the Board has expressed the desire to empower our leaders, but has, at
> times, questioned the decisions made. The goal of the plan which follows is
> to empower all OWASP leaders who have an idea that merits action with the
> ability to act.

What I have proposed is a committee focused entirely on our chapters made
up of members of our chapters and helping to guide and make decisions for
our chapters.  The power is in the hands of the people.  What you have
proposed is a "town hall" discussion on topics affecting the organization
with a Board vote. The power is in the hands of the Board.  I'm not saying
that your town halls aren't important or that they shouldn't happen.  Quite
the opposite, in fact.  But, your e-mail further emphasizes the gap in
terms of who is empowered to make decisions for our organization.  Committees
2.0 was designed to correct that situation, but if the Board is telling me
that you are not inclined to follow the process that was outlined and
approved some time ago, then clearly the current Board has a different
vision for the organization than myself and others.

I was asked for a "civil discussion and substantive proposal" and that is
exactly what I attempted to give you.  I spent the better part of a year
working on that proposal with help from Tiffany and others.  As Tom Brennan
always said, OWASP needs to govern to policy and, in this case, we have a
very well-defined policy in place.  I have asked that the Board initiate
the public call no later than Tuesday, September 11th as that puts the
seven day closing window for the call for participation at Tuesday,
September 18th; the day before the Board meeting.  I've also added this
vote to the agenda for the September 19th Board meeting.  On behalf of all
of the chapter leaders who have expressed support for this committee both
on-list and off, I maintain my original request.  It's time for action and
I don't feel like any of these proposed town halls will change that.  We
can simply add "discussion about holistic sustainability of the foundation"
(aka. how do we take money away from the chapters) to the list of things
that can be discussed amongst the committee consisting of the people who it
will directly affect.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol

OWASP Board Member 2014-2017