[Owasp-leaders] [OWASP-chapters] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Carlos Allendes carlos.allendes at owasp.org
Wed Sep 5 00:04:22 UTC 2018

Dear Eoin,

The way of doing things that you describe as the good old days ("group of
silent+happy workers, and led by a few") we experienced in Chile for 17
years without democracy and although the country grew economically, people
pay an impossible price. In the words of W.Churchill "Democracy is the
worst system of government designed by man, with the exception of all
others".

IMHO Josh's proposal, should be implemented thinking out of the box and
different from the administration scheme that has already completed its
cycle .. it was good before, but now we need to streamline and modify the
way we do things.

Example1: The mailing lists are obsolete and not very agile, we should
complement them or change them to something like Telegram and interact
among all the incumbents in a much more fluid way (we did it in latam and
we went from 15 to 52 people/leaders actively involved in the topics of
Owasp)

Example2: Change the centralized authorizations that create bottlenecks, by
means of checks distributed in substructures at the regional level to
segment the level of control / decision,  and then  these substructures
deliver purified information to the board + staff where the final option is
authorized.

Example3. Proposals and initiatives should be considered and decided at the
regional level where the reality of the people who are asking for changes
or creation of a chapter or modifications is better understood (the things
needed in Singapore should be very different from what they do in Egypt).
therefore a couple of persons can not understand all that variability and
pretend to be effective (much less be efficient).

Example4: How to check the checkers (who is the guardian of the police?) A
suitable scheme is peer-review between the equivalent levels of different
substructures, this has the absolute advantage of creating cohesive,
cooperative and empowered pan-regional teams,  and even more they will
create and improve their own methods of cross-evaluation.

That'all  for now, but I think this is an incredible opportunity I hope you
do not just see it as a problem.

Best Regards!

Carlos Allendes Droguett
OWASP Chile, chapter leader.