[Owasp-leaders] Proposal for OWASP Global Chapters Committee

Travis McPeak travis.mcpeak at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:19:49 UTC 2018

Hi all,

First of all I'd like to acknowledge the considerable thought and love that
went into this proposal. I do think that many of these things are, indeed,
broken with OWASP. That being said, I don't support this proposal because I
believe it moves us even more in the wrong direction. The more councils,
committees, bureaucracy, and other red tape that we build, the less time we
have to dedicate to the mission of OWASP: bringing the security community
together.

I'm fortunate enough to have several co-leaders in the Bay Area, but I
wouldn't put any of them on this. Why? After a few meetings of arguing,
reviewing proposals for new chapters, ticking boxes, etc. those chapter
leaders are going to realize that this seems more like work than supporting
the security community and if they're going to spend more time working they
can go consult and earn money.

My desire is to keep all of this administrative work as small as possible.
What's left should be handled by paid members of the OWASP Foundation and
decided by the OWASP board. As a Chapter Leader, I just want this to work
with minimal involvement from me.

Thanks,
 -Travis (Bay Area)

--