[Owasp-leaders] ZAP Automated authentication detection and configuration

Sherif Mansour sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Thu May 10 23:27:38 UTC 2018

Hey Simon,
Went through the doc, maybe I missed them, but also:

SAML 2.0
Mutual auth (certs)
Webauthn (new passwordless w3c/fido alliance standard).

On Thu, 10 May 2018 at 8:02 am, psiinon <psiinon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Rogan!
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Rogan Dawes <rogan at dawes.za.net> wrote:
>
>> I see there was no mention of Negotiate auth, a.k.a SPNEGO, which can
>> carry NTLM, but also supports Kerberos auth.
>>
>> Also, as a detail, NTLM and Negotiate are CONNECTION based, as opposed to
>> per-request based. Without any insight into the internal architecture of
>> ZAP, you have to be careful about reusing an existing authentication
>> connection for unrelated requests (even if those requests don't have any
>> Authorization headers), as they will automatically be authenticated by
>> virtue of being in an authenticated connection.
>>
>> Some additional details available here:
>> http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5OP0B2KGAC.html
>>
>> Rogan
>>

>> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 10:35 AM psiinon <psiinon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Leaders - please see the email below sent to the ZAP Developers Group.
>>>
>>> Kajan is working on making authentication handling better in ZAP for the
>>> Google Summer of Code.
>>> An important aspect of this is coming up with a comprehensive list of
>>> authentication schemes - theres a link to the doc Kajan is working on below.
>>> ZAP is very flexible and can probably handle most if not all of these
>>> schemes, but we know that configuring it to do so is painful and error
>>> prone.
>>> Building this list will help us understand the scope of the problem and
>>> allow Kajan to focus on more generic solutions that support a wide range of
>>> schemes.
>>> So please have a look at the doc and add suggestions for anything you
>>> spot thats missing or incorrect.
>>>
>>> We know that getting ZAP to handle authentication can be difficult -
>>> this is your chance to help us make it much less painful :)
>>>
>>> One of the reasons we asked Kajan to write this doc is that we couldnt
>>> find a comprehensive list of authentications schemes on the internet.
>>> If we've missed such a list then please let us know. If not then how
>>> would you feel about us migrating the doc to the OWASP wiki once it has had
>>> some more feedback? I think it would be a valuable addition :)
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Simon

Sherif Mansour
OWASP Global Board Member & OWASP London Chapter Leader
Site: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/London
Email: sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Follow OWASP London Chapter on Twitter: @owasplondon
<https://twitter.com/OWASPLondon>
"Like" us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OWASPLondon
Subscribe to our (lightweight) mailing list: