[Owasp-leaders] AppSec EU 2018

Tom Brennan - Proactive Risk tomb at proactiverisk.com
Sat Jun 16 12:46:28 UTC 2018

Should be rather simple.. if you are a owasp project leader you get value
(100% free entry) in trade for your code, content and labor time. You can
even use project or chapter funds for travel.

That is the social incentive

OWASP Inc. is ultimately “selling” your project, your labor and your
personal brand for tickets to attract new members and paying attendees
inline with the mission of rasing visibility for software security... and
 you are the product. These funds are used for programs (define them) and
staff to support programs that must directly benifit the members and the
greater good (non members) as that is the functional operation of a 501(c)3
not for profit.

The OWASP fund rasing events aka: conferences were designed to pull from
the following list of projects during the CALL FOR PAPERS.  Imagine a owasp
conference/summit where this was the focus, OWASP materials.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project#tab=Project_Inventory

The incentive model is severely broken if someone who contributes labor
hours and intellectual property is not a highlighted and celebrated member
for doing what is the mission of the organization. They will find new
associations to contribute to and participate with and what you will have
is not the intended outcome that is to recharge the energy and
collaborations of the participants.   If pay to play is the answer, the
shark has jumped.

--
Tom Brennan, CTO
*Proactive RISK*