[Owasp-leaders] template slides for meetup

Matt Konda matt.konda at owasp.org
Fri Dec 7 04:13:46 UTC 2018

Timur,

You raise a few good points that merit a detailed response that I hope all of the leaders will take a moment to digest.

First, I would offer a counterpoint on the OWASP resources that are available (and say thanks to the VOLUNTEERS that made that possible):
https://www.youtube.com/user/OWASPGLOBAL/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/OWASPGLOBAL/channels
I think these recent, detailed and wide ranging recordings of talks from people all over the world far outweigh the value of a powerpoint template for starting a chapter on the WIKI.

Second, I would like to clarify a key point.  I’m not sure what people in the community think “OWASP HQ” does but it is definitely not curating the content on the WIKI.  In reality, it is all of us in the community that makes that happen.  If there is a failure, we have collectively failed to keep this content where we think it should be.

As an additional counterpoint, you can see the community actively contributing to the WIKI:  Bjorn and Carlos and Jim Manico and many others:  https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Special:ActiveUsers&offset=&limit=500&username= .

What OWASP HQ (The Foundation) does do is handle lots of logistics – raising money, contracts, reimbursements, financial transactions, minimizing fraud (yes), event planning support, chapter support, project review and general infrastructure (Google Apps, email, JIRA, WIKI, SalesForce, QuickBooks, Discourse, mailman (may it rest in peace) etc.).  Generally the unglamorous stuff that we in the community wouldn’t want to or know how to do anyway.

Also, unfortunately, the OWASP Foundation Staff have been under-resourced for at least two years if not more.  It is something we on the board have worked hard on and invested in.  I wouldn’t argue that we’ve succeeded here but it is not for lack of trying.  We made progress in some areas and had setbacks in others.  Ultimately, as the security community grows and becomes stronger, the Foundation has lots of work to do to keep up.  I have strong hopes and there is evidence that in 2019 the Board will be well positioned to make further improvements.

I’m not saying the Foundation is perfect or above reproach by any means, but I can definitely tell you from close experience that they are working their tails off to make OWASP better and it would be nice for the community to respect and understand their role better so that we don’t have mismatched expectations like this.  Let’s start with the assumption that everyone is working hard toward a positive goal and think about what we can bring to the table rather than what someone else didn’t bring to the table.

In any case, if you see something you want to make better with OWASP, the power is literally in your hands to help do it.

In this specific case, Timur, I would challenge you to work with Josh Sokol and Richard Greenberg to help bring to life a Chapters Committee 2.0 to help improve the resources that are available to new Chapters and the support our community is able to give them.

OWASP is an amazing organization and resource because of people like you and the community and all that they bring to it.  I challenge each and every one of us to find those ways that we can contribute.  Pointing our fingers at things that are wrong and trying to blame others is probably not the best way to build a thriving community …

Given where we find ourselves, I also want to take a moment to specifically thank the large numbers of under-thanked and under-appreciated community members, staff and leaders.  We are so lucky to have an open and flourishing OWASP and it is because of all the things you all do.  Thank you all.

Over and out.
Matt

From: "owasp-leaders-bounces+matt.konda=owasp.org at lists.owasp.org" <owasp-leaders-bounces+matt.konda=owasp.org at lists.owasp.org> on behalf of "Timur 'x' Khrotko [owasp]" <timur at owasp.org>
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM
To: "haral.tsitsivas at owasp.org" <haral.tsitsivas at owasp.org>
Cc: "owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org" <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] template slides for meetup

Hey guys,

if these are the presos OWASP HQ can offer, it's utterly disappointing. 13 yrs old stuff, ppt formats, and a 2018 intro to bureaucratic metrics and the officials, which preso is also actually like 5 yrs old, just bit updated.

It's imo a sort of strategic weakness that we don't have a repo of presentations on current and exciting topics that could help chapters not only to introduce the movement but also deliver standard knowledge, branded OWASP. Eg. reusable presos about the flagship projects, each in details, presos explaining owasp t10 in details, etc. Or do those exist?

Imo if we set up a 4 meetups/yr requirement, let's provide a number of readymade, standard presos for delivering meetups on OWASP projects.

For Martín I would suggest to have 2 slides about OWASP in general, not to make this part boring. And do micro intros to a couple of interesting, contemporary and useful OWASP projects, that can make a takeaway, not just a ritual.)) Eg.:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NwEgrlmjUDRlTiDro_FeZzVmD8DyAqFB3mbewKK6d0o/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Timur

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM Haral Tsitsivas <haral.tsitsivas at owasp.org<mailto:haral.tsitsivas at owasp.org>> wrote:

Did you check the OWASP wiki?

You could start here: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Presentations

and with this: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/File:Introduction_to_OWASP.ppt

and this: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10wi1EWFCPZwCpkB6qZaBNN8mR2XfQs8sLxcj9SCsP6c/edit?pref=2&pli=1#slide=id.p63

On 12/6/2018 1:58 PM, Martín Villalba wrote:
Anyone?

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:33 PM Martín Villalba <martin.villalba at owasp.org<mailto:martin.villalba at owasp.org>> wrote:
Do we have any set of template slides for:
* OWASP intro -- what is OWASP, chapters, projects, conferences, etc.
* Code of conduct -- Harassment Policy

I'm hosting my first meetup as the new Santa Barbara (CA) chapter leader and would like to do a quick intro about OWASP, and include a friendly reminder to be nice and mindful about other attendees :)

I do not have any slides and rather avoid making them from scratch if any of you can share some I could use as a template.

Cheers,

Martín.
Santa Barbara Chapter Leader

This message may contain confidential information - you should handle it accordingly.