[Owasp-leaders] Hosting Solutions (CTF)

Ryan Barnett ryan.barnett at owasp.org
Thu Dec 6 15:01:53 UTC 2018

Same, getting blocked responses for leaders list.

From: <owasp-leaders-bounces+ryan.barnett=owasp.org at lists.owasp.org> on behalf of Frank Catucci <frank.catucci at owasp.org>
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 9:54 AM
To: Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org>
Cc: owasp-leaders <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Hosting Solutions (CTF)

Is an email upgrade in the works? Just curious... Almost all my emails bounce.

On Dec 6, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:

It looks like Ed's note to the OWASP Leaders List may have bounced so I'm going to post it for him.  I can vouch for the Security Innovation CMD+CTRL CTF as we've had it at the past two LASCON conferences and attendees love it.  SI does it for free and it's a very well done CTF.  Here's Ed's message:

================

Hi Ash, Marios, and OWASP Leaders.

My company, Security Innovation, has provided our CMD+CTRL product to a number of OWASP chapters to run CTFs at their meetings (most recently in NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Phoenix, and Denver.) The CTF is 100% cloud-based so there’s no infrastructure required. Members just need to show up with a laptop (or similar) to play. The only thing the chapter facility needs to provide is internet access. There is a real-time scoreboard you can display if you wish and points are scored automatically (no need to manually assess “flags.”) It’s a pretty easy turn-key operation.

** There is no fee for using our CMD+CTRL product at OWASP events. If you’d like to run a CTF at an upcoming meeting, please let me know and I’ll facilitate for you. **

We recently used CMD+CTRL for a CTF between 4 Boston area universities, too (https://web.securityinnovation.com/cybersecurity-beanpot-2018)

You can also find more information about CMD+CTRL here: https://www.securityinnovation.com/training/hackathon

Kind regards,

Ed

PS — feel free to reach out to any of those chapter leads to ask for feedback

================

~josh

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:56 AM Ash Dastmalchi <ash.dastmalchi at owasp.org> wrote:

Hi Marios

I'm very much interested too, I'd like to use CTFs to spice up our chapter meets and have been looking around. Came to a conclusion to host in a machine and have it accessible via a switch/AP at the meetings. But if there's a possibility to have an online hosting, that would be great.

Cheers

--

Ash Dastmalchi
OWASP Ghana Chapter Leader

ash.dastmalchi at owasp.org

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Ghana

Follow OWASP Ghana Chapter on Twitter: @OWASPGhana

Join our meetup Group

Consider giving back and supporting the open community by becoming an OWASP member today!

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:33 AM Marios Nicolaides <marios.nicolaides at owasp.org> wrote:

Hi Sean,

Personally I am not aware how OWASP handles these situations and if OWASP has any special deals with hosting vendors for hosting CTFs.

If there are not any special deals, I could get you in contact with a company which offers these services. I've already talked to them and they are willing to host it for free.
They have a platform for hosting VMs/CTFs and they organized a few CTFs so far. They are involved in the community and they like to contribute so it might be a good opportunity.

You could have a chat with them and see how it goes. Please let me know if this could help.

Sincerely,
Marios

On 12/6/18 10:01 AM, Martin Knobloch wrote:

Hi Sean,

See: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Virtual_Village_Project

Cheers,

-martin

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018, 22:21 Sean Wright <sean.wright at owasp.org wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if OWASP has any special deals with hosting vendors which would allow us to host VMs for a CTF for our chapter? Ideally we would like to host a local OWASP CTF, especially to encourage new comers to the industry to take part.

Thanks,

Sean

--

Ash Dastmalchi