[Owasp-leaders] Hosting Solutions (CTF)

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Dec 6 14:43:28 UTC 2018

It looks like Ed's note to the OWASP Leaders List may have bounced so I'm
going to post it for him.  I can vouch for the Security Innovation CMD+CTRL
CTF as we've had it at the past two LASCON conferences and attendees love
it.  SI does it for free and it's a very well done CTF.  Here's Ed's
message:

================

Hi Ash, Marios, and OWASP Leaders.

My company, Security Innovation, has provided our CMD+CTRL product to a
number of OWASP chapters to run CTFs at their meetings (most recently in
NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Phoenix, and Denver.) The CTF is 100%
cloud-based so there’s no infrastructure required. Members just need to
show up with a laptop (or similar) to play. The only thing the chapter
facility needs to provide is internet access. There is a real-time
scoreboard you can display if you wish and points are scored automatically
(no need to manually assess “flags.”) It’s a pretty easy turn-key
operation.

** *There is no fee for using our CMD+CTRL product at OWASP events. *If
you’d like to run a CTF at an upcoming meeting, please let me know and I’ll
facilitate for you. **

We recently used CMD+CTRL for a CTF between 4 Boston area universities, too
(https://web.securityinnovation.com/cybersecurity-beanpot-2018)

You can also find more information about CMD+CTRL here:
https://www.securityinnovation.com/training/hackathon

Kind regards,
Ed

PS — feel free to reach out to any of those chapter leads to ask for
feedback

================

~josh

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:56 AM Ash Dastmalchi <ash.dastmalchi at owasp.org>
wrote:

> Hi Marios
>
> I'm very much interested too, I'd like to use CTFs to spice up our chapter
> meets and have been looking around. Came to a conclusion to host in a
> machine and have it accessible via a switch/AP at the meetings. But if
> there's a possibility to have an online hosting, that would be great.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Ash Dastmalchi
> OWASP Ghana Chapter Leader
> ash.dastmalchi at owasp.org
> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Ghana
>
> Follow OWASP Ghana Chapter on Twitter: @OWASPGhana
> <https://twitter.com/OWASPGhana>
> Join our meetup Group <https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-Ghana-Chapter/>
>
> Consider giving back and supporting the open community by becoming an
> OWASP member today!
>

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:33 AM Marios Nicolaides <
> marios.nicolaides at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> Personally I am not aware how OWASP handles these situations and if OWASP
>> has any special deals with hosting vendors for hosting CTFs.
>>
>> If there are not any special deals, I could get you in contact with a
>> company which offers these services. I've already talked to them and they
>> are willing to host it for free.
>> They have a platform for hosting VMs/CTFs and they organized a few CTFs
>> so far. They are involved in the community and they like to contribute so
>> it might be a good opportunity.
>>
>> You could have a chat with them and see how it goes. Please let me know
>> if this could help.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Marios
>>
>> On 12/6/18 10:01 AM, Martin Knobloch wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> See: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Virtual_Village_Project
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -martin
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018, 22:21 Sean Wright <sean.wright at owasp.org wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if OWASP has any special deals with hosting vendors
>>> which would allow us to host VMs for a CTF for our chapter? Ideally we
>>> would like to host a local OWASP CTF, especially to encourage new comers to
>>> the industry to take part.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sean