[Owasp-leaders] [OWASP-chapters] Updates on OWASP & The Board

Sherif Mansour sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Thu Aug 30 14:04:40 UTC 2018

Many thanks to Andy, Johnanna and Andy.W, for extending a helping hand,

To echo Martin's point the majority of the board are chapter leaders, we
are championing positive change for the foundation, and we also share your
perspective at the chapter level. I am delighted what we have a board that
is committed to improving the foundation to serve the community better.

As an OWASP Chapter Leader (London), we are looking to return our earnings
of AppSecEU to the foundation. It was an absolute honor hosting the event
and we are delighted that it raised 3x more profit that 2017 and was a
record breaking AppSecEU for sponsorships, we also managed to get a lot of
members via the members lounge (roughly $3k of memberships last I checked).
We are doing this in part to help the foundation, and due to our
partnership for further events as a large city we have a responsibility to
our community and the OWASP mission. We have had a couple of years with out
an ED, and there are some areas of improvement, which the foundation is
committed to working on.

One key success is that we left the foundation to deal with a lot of the
admin/logistics issues, some the local chapters had to deal with in the
past and we focused on what we want to see in an AppSecEU, and the
foundation's staff focused on how best to carry it out. This reduced the
burden of work on the Chapter but we hand a seat right at the front of the
table.
Another success factor was that the foundation was restructuring itself,
Kelly for example focused on what she did best (sponsorships) and she
knocked it out of the park, it was a great sign to also see Matt return to
the foundation. From the Chapter's side we sent them as many contacts their
way and they did a great job at helping these sponsors.

At the board level there are various efforts we are looking to improve the
foundation

   - We have taken the community's feedback and adjusted the global events
   strategy to be "global" (there is more to the world than Europe and US). By
   having more events we also committed to having one of the global AppSec
   Events in Israel and we hope to have more around the world as time goes by,
   part of the motion also including restating the Global Events Committee to
   make sure a diverse and global perspective is taken. An event in Japan is
   not the same as in New York, and is not the same as in Berlin, and we have
   to be mindful and respectful of these differences.
   - We are working hard on making the community a more comfortable, safer
   and fairs place to do Appsec. This means a better process to process
   compliance complaints such as bullying and that they are dealt with at an
   effective manner. In July the board meeting this was presented and we are
   working on making the final touches (all are welcome to provide feedback).
   - We have agreed for UC Davis to go off with our blessing to develop a
   coursera appsec course - which helps further our educational mission.
   - On the projects level I have introduced a few to industry wide
   collaborations, i.e NIST, MITRE, and we have a few other potential
   collaborations in the back burner.

This brings us to chapters, the foundation is looking into better ways to
improve support to the chapters, and their regional events, there are some
areas to improve, and that happens with an open dialogue.

For the global events strategy what we did was analyze some of the
underlining problems, we presented them to the community (in fact we had
different calls for different time zones), we collected all the community &
foundation's feedback to form a proposed approached, and then presented it
o the board in June gave one month for review/feedback, and only then did
we vote knowing we had received feedback from all parties and time to
provide further comments.

I am sure we can do something similar for chapters which is
open, courteous and professional.

--

Sherif Mansour
OWASP Global Board Member & OWASP London Chapter Leader
Email: sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Follow OWASP London Chapter on Twitter: @owasplondon
<https://twitter.com/OWASPLondon>
"Like" us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OWASPLondon
Subscribe to our (lightweight) mailing list: