[Owasp-leaders] AppSec USA

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Mon Aug 27 18:59:27 UTC 2018

OWASP leaders,

I've sat back and watched this thread and the one on Twitter over the last
couple of days - partially to see where it went and also to gather my
thoughts on the many dimensions of this issue.  Additionally, I wanted to
sync up with Karen and the staff so there could be a single answer from
those whose day job is keeping the OWASP Foundation going.

First and foremost: *It's your Foundation*

Speaking as a staff member, 10+ year project leader, helper of many
chapters (though never a chapter leaders) and former Board member, it's
crucial to remember that the OWASP Foundation was created as an open source
meritocracy driven by it's leaders.

Looking at this thread and various replies, I'm both strengthened by those
who just want the best for the Foundation as a whole and realized that not
every leader is up to date on the finances of the OWASP Foundation
currently.

I'm not gong to take the time to individually praise or refute any
particular reply to this thread, but I will make a few statements in
general:

(1) If you feel like you should have your ticket to the dinner covered by
the Foundation, just come to the Leaders meeting at AppSec US and speak to
me or Karen. We will get you a ticket.  We want a chance to talk directly
with leaders so they can have visibility into the current situation for the
Foundation and our plans for the future. Also, *we want your feedback and
input*.

(2) Even if you're not going the dinner, come to the Leaders meeting.
We're going to give those present updates on the Foundation finances, the
staff's plans for 2019 and beyond, and updates on what's happened this
year.  Like we did at AppSec EU, the meeting will be streamed and recorded
for those that can't attend.

With 6 employees and a community of our size, *we need your help and cannot
make the OWASP Foundation what it should be without your help*.

For those that want a jump on the financial aspects + strategic plan we'll
cover at AppSec US, here's some links:

   - OWASP Foundation's latest 990
   <https://www.owasp.org/images/4/49/THE_OWASP_FOUNDATION_INC._2016_FORM_990_-_CLIENT_COPY.pdf>
    - this and past 990's are always available here
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_The_Open_Web_Application_Security_Project#Form_990_Documents>
   .
   (the US tax form that all charities have to complete, stating their
   financials, mission, etc)
   - The Draft Strategic Plan, created by Karen and on the May
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/May_15,_2018>, June
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/June_19,_2018>, July
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/July_4th,_2018> and August
   <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/August_2018> board agendas
   - The latest Board Financial Report
   <https://www.owasp.org/images/7/7b/15_August_2018_BOD_Report.pdf> from
   Karen from the August <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/August_2018> board
   meeting
      - Financials (for June 2018) are on page 5 especially the "*POINTS of
      NOTE*" including this important quote "...leaves the foundation with
      $287.2K of operating cash based on June financials"  This if from our 3rd
      party financial adviser/accounting firm.
      - Also available on the August Board page are the June 2018 P&L
      <https://www.owasp.org/images/4/46/6.30.18_P_%26_L_Board_summary_Wiki.pdf>
       and the June 2018 Balance Sheet
      <https://www.owasp.org/images/3/3c/6.30.18_BS_summary_WIKI.pdf>.  We
      are a VERY visible organization.

One final note from the perspective of someone who has been doing Open
Source since the late 1990's:  *There's never enough feedback.*

That said, we do need some guard rails on that feedback:

Fundamentally, we are one large and diverse community working towards a
common goal of making security visible to the world.  When you speak to
anyone in the community, via email, in person, at a conference, you are
expected to “treat everyone with respect and dignity”.  These are not just
my words, they are a direct quote from the OWASP Code of Ethics [1].

One final, very important point: *OWASP Foundation staff are part of the
community.*

When you are speaking with staff, it’s no different that speaking to
another chapter leader, project leader, Global board member or anyone who
is part of OWASP.

It is expected that all communication be civil and respectful no matter who
you are speaking with.  I was on the OWASP Global Board when the Core
Values, Core Purpose and Code of Ethics were created and this was
definitely the intent behind their creation.

Michael Coats, another former OWASP Board member said it best when he wrote:

*Keep the stones you are about to throw in your pocket. Use those stones to*

*build a bridge.* [2]

Looking forward to some great face-to-face catching up at AppSec US!

Cheers!

[1] https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_The_Open_Web_
Application_Security_Project#Code_of_Ethics

[2] https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2013-
February/008832.html

--
-- Matt Tesauro
*OWASP Foundation*
matt.tesauro at owasp.org

Consider giving back, and supporting the open source community by becoming
a member <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership> or making a donation
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Donate> today!

Join us at AppSec USA 2018 <https://2018.appsecusa.org/> 8-12 October in
San Jose, CA!