[Owasp-leaders] AppSec USA

Travis McPeak travis.mcpeak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:02:45 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I delayed responding to this thread because I can see it both ways. Here's
where I have personally ended up:

As a chapter leader I can vouch for the countless hours of unpaid time
spent by my co-leaders and me on running our chapter. We do this because we
love the local security community and our sister communities in OWASP.
Wearing this hat, I think "damn, doesn't OWASP care enough to pay for my
party ticket?"

On the other hand I have begun to see some of the financial struggles the
Foundation has been dealing with. I really appreciate that when I submit an
expense there are a team of people that make sure I get reimbursed. The
marketing at big conferences such as DefCon benefits all of us, and yet my
chapter didn't directly pay for it.

At the end of the day we need to decide what kind of conference we're
running. Is it a working group of OWASP people and we invite some outsiders
to subsidize our costs, or is this a big flagship conference that pays the
bills all year?

I think there is room for both, but in providing free conference tickets
the Foundation is essentially giving us the benefit of everything that
incurred fixed costs, mainly the venue, which is damn expensive.

They are asking us to offset the additional costs that we create by
attending a party that probably charges by head. In my mind that's a fair
request to keep the Foundation running and doing the stuff I don't want to
do myself as a chapter leader. I'll be attending the party and paying for
the ticket out of pocket.

Thanks,
-Travis (Bay Area)