[Owasp-leaders] Offtopic

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Tue Oct 31 20:28:14 UTC 2017

Matt's 2 cents:

Slack is great for intra-community communication and topic specific things
that are short lived.

Discourse is a hybrid maillist + forum for discussions among OWASP'ers and
a much broader community - aka public read access to Discourse so indexed
by search engines, etc.  Things that Slack isn't - aka you have to join to
read and its not indexed.

Plus Discourse has some interesting features that we may want to explore
like making FAQs out of discussions, etc.

*From an operational perspective:*

Slack: Setup by the community for the community.  Maintenance is done by
the community.  Staff have access to Slack but not the Heroku instance to
signup so staff support is best effort.

Discourse: Setup by the Foundation for the community.  It's SaaS so IT ops
is on the provider but running the Discourse software itself will be done
by staff ultimately.  We'll delegate areas to specific groups like a
Chapter section to chapter leadership but staff basically 'has root' for
Discourse.

Hope that helps.

--
-- Matt Tesauro