[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Fwd: [owasp accounting] SAMM project funds status

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Fri Oct 13 02:20:06 UTC 2017

Hey Everyone!

I understand why this would be very concerning. I can see that there is
some alarm with the short way this was communicated and I want assure you
that these requirements were designed in good faith. There is no effort to
take funds away from active projects and Chapters, rather these guidelines
have been redesigned to 1) encourage projects and chapters to spend money
on the resources that will grow and support them, 2) make sure that OWASP
is not holding on to money for abandoned chapters and projects--this money
should be recaptured and put to use supporting projects and chapters that
do not currently have funding as well as general outreach.

 Last year our roll out was less than desirable.  This time we have a clear
understanding of the guidelines, I designed a clean process for handling
the budgets, and a much better education plan.  By tomorrow evening PDT you
should see the first notification roll out as well as a brief on the
process.  Additionally, each Project and Chapter leader with budgets over
$5,000 will be reached out to directly over email.  Chapters and Projects
that  do not meet the minimum requirements to be considered active will
begin to be contacted shortly thereafter (first week of November for
chapters).  Even at this point, the goal is not to look for Chapters and
Projects to take money from, but to make sure the work being done by these
volunteers is visible and supported. While we do not want resources to
languish unused, we also want to make sure that we are not neglecting
volunteers who need support.
I am making every effort to make the process as transparent as possible as
well as responsive to the needs of our community.  If you would like to
talk to me directly about any of this you can email me or reach out to me
at @tiffany on slack.  As I just got back from a long vacation and will be
traveling next week,  Slack will be swifter than email for the moment.

I look forward to going through this process with you. And would love to
hear about your concerns at anytime during.

Please look for my emails tomorrow night.

Best,

Tiffany Long
Community Manager