[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] Quitting from the OWASP-Board

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Tue May 16 06:13:28 UTC 2017

Larry,

The Board can simply appoint someone by nominating and voting on the
matter.

"SECTION 2.05 Vacancies.

A vacancy in any office because of death, resignation, removal,
disqualification or otherwise, may be filled by the Board of Directors for
the unexpired portion of the term."
- https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Foundation_ByLaws

However, we have precedent in invoking section 2.05 from last year. When
Jim stepped down, the Board chose to honor the community's existing vote by
choosing the next candidate on the list. Selecting the next person on the
list seems the fairest method, as it respects the community's desires based
around the various election platforms put forward with over 600 cast votes.

In 2016, the community voted:

"Martin Knobloch 192 (12.6%)
Owen Pendlebury 181 (11.9%)
Steve Kosten 148 (9.7%)
Frank Catucci 101 (6.6%)
Milton Smith 76 (5.0%)
Bil Corry 65 (4.3%)
Simhalu "Sim" Kandala 42 (2.8%)"
-
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/2016_Global_Board_of_Directors_Election#Results

The reality is running a new election would take around two to three months
during a time when the OWASP Summit is being put on, the 2016 financial
audit is occurring, and all hands are needed on deck for AppSec USA. From a
Board perspective, we have budget planning and goal setting due in that
time frame, and I would like the counsel of the seventh Board member to
assist with that.

thanks,
Andrew