[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Where are the boardmembers?

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun May 14 07:14:45 UTC 2017

@Bev
I believe that community members have the right to express discontentment
or disappointment . Complaint might sound negative but is not. Receiving a
complaint is an opportunity to understand what is wrong, especially if
there can be a discussion. Of course as long as those complains focus on
issues with the purpose of changing the situation, but those complaining
should also analyse the situation.

Different community members have expressed their sentiment regarding OWASP
board leaders not attending the APPSEC EU this year and some board members
have expressed clearly their POV. But most have not even reacted.

I mean, we are 7 members and only 3 have reacted to this list. This is the
major problems with every single thing when it comes to a discussion with
the board. Most of these members are disengaged, they hardly react on
emails or issues that require discussion and want to play nice with
everyone and when the Board meeting takes place, we don't even get the time
to finalize all what we should (like the bloody Budget), so the efficiency
of the board is very low. Thats why we(the community) should not go and
blame the staff of any inefficiencies because the biggest is us, THE BOARD.

When I have complaint myself at board meetings that we are doing a horrible
job as a board, the reactions are very defensive. To me the board is the
biggest bottleneck because:

   - Crucial decisions that are needed for employees to move forward are
   delayed due to multiple reasons
   - The staff cannot move properly forward without those decision taken
   place
   - We meet once a month but we are not communication properly during the
   month to move forward
   - Some board members have been completely absence of discussions and
   their roles, is like they do even exist just to vote at board meetings
   - Most board members have jobs that do not really allow them to be
   engaged or more deeply involved

So yes we have too many captains in this ship call OWASP and every single
board meeting has been a struggle to get things approved and done.

Now, maybe the whole thing with EU is that the amount of EU OWASP members
is lower that US and therefore less important? Or is it that the EU income
generation conference leaves less revenue therefore less important?

I have no freaking idea but I wish that those dormant board members wake up
and take at least some time to listen and go over of where this ship is
heading and especially , if they were the ones that decided to be board
members to make time for OWASP .

 We are volunteers but we still are TRUSTEES and accountable for the
situation at OWASP.

The Board Member’s First Duty: Accountability
https://www.snpo.org/samples/V180613.pdf

Board members != Volunteers ==> we are accountable and if you don't have
time to be a board members , please, then think very well about it

Regards

Johanna

--
Johanna Curiel