[Owasp-leaders] rough consensus & running code

Bev Corwin bev.corwin at owasp.org
Mon May 8 14:01:39 UTC 2017

Thank you Andrew, we know that you tried, and appreciate that. It was a
good exercise, regardless, even for the new ideas. We must do better in the
future. Receiving budget requests is a sign that there are good people out
there willing to help OWASP build value. We all know that this "myth" that
the "centralized" global OWASP would like to support local chapter efforts
- and that is part of the reasoning in limiting local chapters - but it
doesn't really work. Need to build better workflows for incorporating local
activities, including sponsors, projects, co-marketing activities,
community building activities, memberships, and other value creating
activities. OWASP global should be more focused on creating more member and
community value overall, creating more revenue generating activities than
just events and trainings, breaking down silos created by vendors,
empowering chapter leaders and local chapters to build local community,
memberships, and spend less time creating value and profits for vendors.
OWASP is not a large corporation or a gov't agency. It does not need
costly, burdensome red tape. It is a small non profit organization and
needs to create value for members and the community, and to streamline
administrative costs. For every dollar spent on admin, we should be asking:
"Can this be done by a volunteer?" and "Does this create value for our
members and community?". Every staff person should be engaging chapter
leaders and volunteers to help them reduce their burden, not to increase it
with non value creating activities. There need to be clear deliverables for
staff with timelines with deadlines, performance metrics, and empowering
chapter leaders and volunteers to build strong, vibrant chapters by
engaging with their local communities with local sponsors, co-marketing
agreements and building strong membership bases. Perpetuating this strategy
of "strangling" local chapters and empowering "staff" vendors must be
reversed. Not to mention the externalizing of OWASP IP and relationships,
it damages the organization long term if perpetuated. More workflows that
empower local chapter leaders and volunteers need to be implemented, and as
a backup resilience strategies, every staff member and board member should
have at least one or two "volunteers" who can do their job in the interim
while the organization seeks their replacements, or if future budgets
cannot sustain the current death spiral. Sincerely, Bev