[Owasp-leaders] rough consensus & running code

Steve Kosten steve.kosten at owasp.org
Sun May 7 20:51:05 UTC 2017

​Bev,

The statement I ​most objected to was your statement that the OWASP core
values and principles "are being hijacked by staff to bottleneck and
constrain chapter leaders, mostly to protect their jobs."  This is not a
factual statement unless we have the ability to objectively peer into a
person's mind and know their motives, and we don't.  It is an opinion.  I
respect that this is your opinion.  If you have difficulties with the
performance of the staff, I'd suggest bringing it to the board as it is
part of the the board's overall responsibility to manage the activities of
the staff and judge the performance of the staff.  When doing so, please
provide proof to support your assertions as that will enable the board to
make decisions based upon facts.  Please do this; you clearly feel wronged
and care about OWASP and that would be the appropriate avenue to take to
address those concerns.

I did see in a later post of yours that numerous requests of yours have not
been responded to.  That is certainly an issue.  Your concerns and requests
should be acknowledged and handled appropriately.  If I may, I'd like to
share one thing that I have found out that may help you (I don't know how
you submitted your previous requests).  I have found that emailing staff
members doesn't always get a response, I suspect they may be getting
flooded with messages.  But when I used the "Contact Us" link on the main
page (under neath the blue header), I always received a response.  If you
haven't used this, please try that and hopefully the responses improve for
you.

Finally Bev, as I said, it is clear you care for OWASP, let's continue to
move forward together to improve and address the concerns you have about
chapters and projects being unnecessarily curtailed.  There must be some
limits in order to be an OWASP chapter (e.g., we don't want a chapter or
project to be a front to a vendor); chapters and projects must adhere to
the OWASP core values and principles.  How we best support that is a fair
question and appropriate for the leaders-list.  And for that I thank you
for doing just that, for leading the effort to review the Chapter Leaders
Handbook.

Steve Kosten
OWASP Denver Chapter Leader