[Owasp-leaders] rough consensus & running code

Steve Kosten steve.kosten at owasp.org
Sun May 7 04:44:01 UTC 2017

Bev,

I was disturbed to read your comment that you think that OWASP values and
core principles "are being hijacked by staff to bottleneck and constrain
chapter leaders, mostly to protect their jobs".  In stating this, you are
impugning the character of some very good people who have worked hard to
support our organization, and without much apparent proof to support this
significant charge.  When I read Tiffany's document "Outline for New
Chapters", I found it to be in line with what I have found within the
Chapter Leader Handbook and from my experience, it did not appear in any
sense that significant changes were proposed.  If I'm mistaken and there
are, I think this can be expressed and brought up for discussion without
attacking the staff.  I find the tone of this discourse to be unfortunate
and sympathize with the staff; it must be very demoralizing to be trying to
do their best to support the organization only to be lambasted publicly
like this.  I certainly think they, as we are, trying to do the right thing
for the organization.  Attacking them doesn't really help us.

It appears you have issues w/ the handbook.  I completely agree with Liam,
let's bring your issues forward and discuss them.  I had previously signed
up to be a part of this review (prior to reading this thread) and will
fully support this review.  I too want to make things as easy as possible
for chapters and projects to be successful.  And I think Tiffany is too,
which is why she created this document in the first place.  So let's please
put some of this ugliness behind us and work together to make the handbook
better.  If you feel chapters and projects are being bottlenecked, let's
address that at the same time.

Steve Kosten
OWASP Denver Chapter Leader