[Owasp-leaders] rough consensus & running code

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Thu May 4 15:28:50 UTC 2017

Hey Tom and Bev!  It seems you are ahead of the curve.  This document was
set to be released to the community with the Ops Update Blog post
accompanied by the following text:

Chapter Orientation:
> Since September all new chapters were requested to have an Orientation
> meeting via Gotomeeting.  Since then these meetings have been refined into
> a  series of standing one on one appointments for any Chapter Leaders
> starting a new chapter, any new chapter leaders who wish to join, and any
> current leaders who want to take a refresher.

> So far reactions have been good.  Many experienced chapter leaders have
> expressed a wish for this when they got started and follow up emails with
> procedural questions have dropped from an average of 5 per new chapter to
> 10 total in the last 8 months.  We have also seen an uptick in new chapters
> using funds and getting multiple leaders on board.  All of these are
> indicators of early chapter health.  Board members, staff, and the
> community can read the draft outline of the orientation.  The document will
> be made public in the form of the Chapter FAQ in the next few weeks.

It has long been noted that new chapter leaders tick the box that says that
they have read the Chapter Leader Handbook, but often do not understand
what help they can get from the foundation or how funding works. This
document is a draft outline of the most commonly asked questions about
being a chapter leader.

The orientation is divided into three parts, the first addresses how to
build a chapter, how to reach out to audiences and tactics that other
chapters have used to flourish. The second part covers our vendor
neutrality policy and other rules and privileges for chapter leaders.
Finally we discuss funding in-depth.

Some conversations are expected to be had again when chapter leaders are
not overwhelmed with questions. In the outline you will see these topics
marked with statements like "reach out to me." Every point in this
orientation outline is simply a rehash from the Chapter Leader Handbook.

Tiffany Long
Community Manager