[Owasp-leaders] wiki changes - breaks sponsor logos/links?

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Mon Mar 27 17:00:13 UTC 2017

> So no migration testing?

To be blunt and honest with you, OWASP has never had migration testing
beyond someone clicking about the wiki and looking to see if anything is
broken.

I've been doing the wiki source upgrades for since ~2011 and I read the
release notes and any other docs MediaWiki produces on the new versions but
the documentation is far from complete. This last upgrade was so major that
I had to throw out our old LocalSetting.php and let MediaWiki auto-generate
a new one for me actually get a working wiki - then I could add back in
stuff till it broke.  We had deprecated and no longer supported config
items dating back to ~2005 in that config file.  That doesn't mention the 9
home-grown unmaintained extensions circa 2005 and numerous EOL/EOS
extensions that got cleaned up in the fall of 2016 to prepare for this
upgrade.   All this was done on https://update-wiki.owasp.org before we
rolled this out to production.  For those that like a horror show, here's
the old config
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ux9HT6yOl37y1YGU_MjqLCsui32H9q-ZrwXtpXTu3DM/edit>
.

I'd love to have some Selenium or similar to run in the dev environment
when there are wiki source updates - code donations & PR's gladly
accepted.  We have a staff of 7 and I'm the only member with a technical
background so those live on the 'nice to have' list for now.

I am writing Ansible for all our IT assets - this was going well until
Rackspace ended their donation of hosting.  I also spent last week
migrating all the 20XX.appsec.eu & appsec.eu servers from a volunteer run
server (props to Dirk for 5+ years of running that) to Foundation
resources.  The Ansible I had was very useful for those migrations.

BTW, all this is spelled out in the monthly OWASP Ops Blog - most recent is
March:
https://owasp.blogspot.com/2017/03/owasp-operations-update-for-march-2017.html

All the Ansible and configs for the wiki will eventually be posted to the
new OWASP Foundation Github org:
https://github.com/owasp-foundation
  not to be confused with the Officla OWASP aka Project Github org:
https://github.com/owasp
  or the Archives org where inactive projects spend their days:
https://github.com/owasp-archives

So, there's loads of clean-up to do and there will be some breakages along
the way - it just cannot be helped even with the staff doing what they can
to avoid things breaking.

Just know that we're replacing the old and tired with things that are
designed to be significantly more operationally robust.  It just takes time
to do things right.

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro