[Owasp-leaders] (Please help to invest on OWASP Summit 2017) Re: Can you spare 20% of $759, 821.61 - transfer some cash!

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Tue Mar 7 14:55:09 UTC 2017

Thanks Tom for such a great description of the unique value that Owasp
Summits bring to our community (see email below).

To put the 20% of funds currently available to OWASP Chapters and Project
into perspective, that is about $150k USD, which is roughly the amount
OWASP spent at the last Summit for on *'Summit Travel & Accommodations' *(see
pic below from OWASP Summit 2011 Outcomes
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Outcomes> document)

[image: Inline images 1]

As you can see on the screenshot above, OWASP covered the costs 103
participants (most OWASP Leaders).

To give you an idea of who they where, are are two screenshots from two of
the funding rounds we did (1st
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee/Summit_Attendees_Funds_-_Ranking_for_10th_Jan_2010>
, 2nd
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee/Summit_Attendees_Funds_-_Ranking_for_18th_Jan_2010>
)

[image: Inline images 2]

and

[image: Inline images 3]

For a full list of who was sponsored for OWASP see the full Attendee page
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee>

[image: Inline images 4]

I'm sure that as you read the names of the OWASP leaders that were
sponsored, you will recognise a number of really key players in our
industry and more importantly great OWASP contributors/leaders. Some of
them (at the time) were not that widely known in the OWASP community, or
had delivered major contributions to OWASP (on projects, chapters or
conferences).  Nevertheless OWASP invested on them, and they delivered.

It is important to note that they would had not been able to go that
Summit, had OWASP not been able to 'invest' on getting together the OWASP
talent. I used the 'invest' because this was an 'investment' for OWASP, not
a cost (with massive ROI for our community and the participants). Remember
that (apart from the Summit admin team), nobody's was paid to go there.
What we had were 150 professionals, dedicating their personal or company
time, to work together and collaborate for 5 days. THAT was the real
investment, and it shows the power of the OWASP community that we are able
to bring them together.

Here is the group photo of the OWASP Summit 2011 (think of the loss if 103
were missing)

[image: Inline images 5]

*Back to the funds currently available to OWASP Chapters and Projects. *

At the time (2011) there were funds available on OWASP mothership to make
this investment.

At the moment (2017) those funds have been distributed to OWASP Chapters
and Projects, which means that we (Summit 2017) need your help, to fund the
current and next generation of OWASP Leaders and Contributors, to come
together and work on the hard challenges that face our industry.

*Just to be clear, we need your funds to (invest) on Summit Tickets and
cover travel expenses. *

Here is the current list of Participants that want to come
<http://owaspsummit.org/Logistics/Participants-need-support.html> to the
Summit to work, but need your support  (with many more names missing)

[image: Inline images 6]

The way I look at it, one of the reasons OWASP needs profits (from
conferences and memberships), is so that it is able to invest in activities
that help our community and industry. The OWAPS Summit 2017 is one of those
activities.

Please take a look at the amazing talent that we already have
committed to participate
at the Summit <http://owaspsummit.org/new/participants.html> ...

[image: Inline images 7]

... and help us to bring even more (specially the next generation of OWASP
Leaders and AppSec professionals)

Of course that this is also an invitation for you to join us at the Summit
(see the list of Working Sessions
<http://owaspsummit.org/new/working-sessions.html> being planned, and
create the ones that are missing)

Thanks for your help