[Owasp-leaders] Mozilla speaks up. Should OWASP?

Bryan Batty bryan.batty at owasp.org
Tue Jan 31 23:31:36 UTC 2017

Hi, Colin.

There were indeed two different shirts offered at AppSec USA in Washington,
DC last October. One was a red shirt, and was parody of the Republican
candidate's slogan ("Make AppSec Great Again"); the other was a white
shirt, and was parody of the Democrat candidate's slogan ("I'm With CSP").
In retrospect, we probably should have made the latter shirt blue. We did
not parody the slogans of the Green Party candidate or the Libertarian
party candidate, as we were not confident that their slogans would be
remembered even a few months later, or, for that matter, if they even had
slogans. (I know, I know; we're part of the problem of the two-party
system. For the record, my idea of a faded green shirt of the Libertarian
candidate with the phrase "What's A-Missing Function Level Access
Control-O?" was dismissed out of hand, and I'm still bitter.)

The fact that the conference was in our nation's capital just three weeks
before the election inspired us to have a little fun with the election
theme. Not wanting to jeopardize our 501(c)(3) status, we did ask for legal
guidance, but the decision to make the T-shirts was entirely that of the
host chapters, OWASP DC and OWASP Northern Virginia (
https://www.meetup.com/OWASPDC/ and
https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-Northern-Virginia-Chapter/, if you're ever in
town). The conference organizers come from a variety of backgrounds,
cultures, and political persuasions, and I'm certain you would enjoy having
a drink with us and attending the chapter meetings.

If you ever come to DC/Northern Virginia, we'd love to see you!

Thank you,
Bryan Batty
OWASP DC Chapter Leader