[Owasp-leaders] Mozilla speaks up. Should OWASP?

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Tue Jan 31 19:19:18 UTC 2017

Donald Trump filed his candidacy for 2020, he is officially a candidate
again.  At this point any action must be run through a lawyer.  Any
activities surrounding advocacy must be generated by the foundation (at the
behest of the volunteers; with agreement from the board), must be directly
related to the OWASP mission, and must not seek to single out any candidate
specifically or by virtue of newly targeting a policy associated with that
candidate.

The shirts represented both candidates, advocated no policy, and were
parody.  Therefore they were not in violation.

I want to be clear, I am not splashing cold water on any effort for
volunteers to ask the organization to take any particular stance.  I just
want to illuminate the restrictions which any action is bound by.

I have a feeling this will come up a lot and in many countries with issues
such as net neutrality, security research, etcetera and want our community
to understand where we need to ask for legal guidance and where we can act
as a multinational organization.

Tiffany Long
Community Manager

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Mike McCabe <mccabe615 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tiffany or Laura, can chime in but the t-shirts were run past a lawyer and
> since they neither endorsed a candidate or showed preference to either they
> were deemed 'ok'.
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Haral Tsitsivas <
> haral.tsitsivas at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> The posted material seems to be related to campaigns and candidates.
>> POTUS 45 is already elected, so saying anything is taking a position on
>> policy...
>> What are the rules for that?
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Tony Turner <tony.turner at owasp.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think that is technically true. You cannot directly support or
>>> oppose a campaign but voter education IS allowed
>>>
>>> https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organiz
>>> ations/the-restriction-of-political-campaign-intervention-