[Owasp-leaders] Volunteer Portal

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Tue Jan 24 00:27:11 UTC 2017

Hey Johanna,
We are currently planning to create a formal volunteer jobs board.  The
plan is ask those who wish to volunteer to more fully fill out a profile
and to allow staff and leaders to create detailed job descriptions.  The
job descriptions will be searchable via a number of metrics including
number of hours for commitment, language, etc. Additionally,  the suggested
volunteer positions would populate for volunteers who fill out a profile
based on their stated desires.  People will be able to directly apply to
positions and will be approved by the leader or staff asking for those
positions.  This allows us to track what is going on while also eliminating
bottlenecks.

Our current hang up is waiting to see what changes the new AMS will bring
so that we can make sure to build the rest of the parameters around both
our current desires and our new capabilities.  The whole portal will be in
SF an need to integrate with our other infrastructure.  The new AMS
migration will begin in Feb. and take about 6 weeks.

For the last 6 months the staff have been working to streamline our back
end and truly work through the technical debt of OWASP.  We want to make
sure that as we build or adapt new infrastructure our work flows are
smother and do not innately cause bottle necks due to moving to quickly in
the planning stages.

I expect to see a lot of changes in the next nine months.

Best,

Tiffany

Tiffany Long
Community Manager