[Owasp-leaders] Access management on GitHub

Bjoern Kimminich bjoern.kimminich at owasp.org
Tue Jan 10 09:55:08 UTC 2017

I do not think that OWASP org on GitHub should be a historical inventory.
Everything on github.com/OWASP should be usable, documented and - most
importantly - responsive to user requests (via Issues) and contributions
(via PRs). Unmaintained projects fail at responsiveness, so they end up
with tons of unanwered issues.

Prime example from yesterday: In https://github.com/OWASP/rbac/issues/88 a
user asks: *"why no new commits in the package from 2015, I need to use it
in large scale app and I'm afraid because of maintained. any help?"*

This leaves a bad impression on maturity of OWASP's open source offerings.
Even an honest *"Sorry, this project is currently not in active
development!"* would be fine. Not receiving a response is what frustrates
me most when opening an issue or PR. That's why we should at least make it
visible when a project is unmaintained, so they *do not even ask a question
in the first place* and won't be disappointed if they never get an answer.

Put the "Inactive Project" banner on top of the README. Adding a "Use
Project X instead" would be great! Alternatively move projects like this to
an "owasp-archive"- or "owasp-legacy"-org if you prefer. Zombies should not
stay in our main GitHub organization and certainly we should not add more.

Also please note, that *deleting or moving a GitHub repository* is *not*
equivalent to *deleting an OWASP Project*. Furthermore, *unmaintained* is a
pretty blurry term, so I'd make it easier to grasp with some KPIs, such as:

   - number of total open issues
   - number of issues without a response/comment/label added by project team
   - age of oldest open issue
   - *same as above three for PRs*
   - age of last commit
   - age of last release

Statistics can give us a good overview here. Part of this we even get for
free for projects we register on OpenHub:
https://www.openhub.net/orgs/OWASP/projects
They just don't seem to update as regular as they did in the past and I
have no idea how to retrigger an analysis over there.

Cheers,
Björn