[Owasp-leaders] HTML Security Annotations

Steve Springett Steve.Springett at owasp.org
Thu Jan 5 03:02:13 UTC 2017

I like the idea of HTML security annotations, however, one of the reasons
why I’m in this field is the dynamic nature of it. What is safe today, may
not be safe tomorrow. Reflected XSS was a thing, then persisted XSS, then
just when we thought we knew it all, along came DOM XSS. Tomorrow it could
be something else, and what we deem as safe today, may not be true tomorrow.

If the behavior of HTML5 does one thing today, and behaves slightly
different with an updated spec, then what benefit are the annotations? They
will be outdated; correct in their analysis at the time they were
introduced, but could very well become obsolete (or worse, inaccurate)
within the lifetime of the application.

The example was provided of @SuppressWarnings, which is good, and it’s
universally supported due to being included in the Java language itself.
All static analysis tools (SonarQube, FindBugs, PMD, etc) respect these.
However, security-specific annotations such as @FortifyXSSValidate, are
very much tool specific. So, if HTML security annotations are introduced,
there should be plans on standardizing them so that they are not specific
to a vendor or scanning technology.

IMO, I’m less concerned about the amount of false positives, as I am about
making tools smarter and more capable of finding issues that normally would
require human testing. I would love to see HTML security annotations take
into consideration business logic and workflow scenarios. For example,
being able to annotate a site which tells ZAP (or some other tool) that you
must add items to the cart before you can hack the checkout. If there was a
universally accepted annotation for that, I’d be using them today.

—Steve

On January 4, 2017 at 5:20:44 PM, dan cornell (dan.cornell at owasp.org) wrote:

I mentioned this on the Twitter discussion but wanted to echo here:

Annotations like this would be a good option for security-savvy developers
to mark up their code/HTML to get by checks like you would find in a CI/CD
pipeline. Full assessments and penetration tests will likely want to ignore
these annotations (or use them for targeting like they would a robots.txt
file) But - especially in situations where you might have application
security testing breaking a CI/CD build - it should be possible for
developers to communicate to the testing system that a finding is a false
positive so that they can keep the build moving without intervention from
the security team.

This would only work for situations where a representative from the
development team has the security savvy to make this call - and where you
trust the developer to use the annotations where appropriate and not just
to bypass checks. BUT - for teams at that level of maturity this could be
an effective mechanism.

Thanks,

Dan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Bjoern Kimminich <bjoern.kimminich at owasp.org