[Owasp-leaders] Update on Recent Board Vote

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Feb 22 16:44:59 UTC 2017

OWASP Leaders,

I wanted to call your attention to a recent vote by the OWASP Board of
Directors as I think it shows a commitment by the Board to breaking down
the walls of the perceived "ivory tower" and investing in the future of
OWASP through the empowerment of having new people and ideas driving the
organization forward.  On February 8th, the Board quorum unanimously voted
to amend the Bylaws as follows:

Each Board member will serve for a term of 2 years. The term will begin
> effective January 1 following the election period. A Board member may run
> again for re-election at any point in the future, but may serve no more
> than two two-year terms in any ten year period. The role of the Board
> Members shall be elected by the Board of Directors at the first meeting
> following the election of the Board of Directors. If the election of
> officers shall not be held at such meeting, such election shall be held as
> soon thereafter as conveniently may be. Each officer shall hold that role
> until the next election has been completed.

This takes effect with the 2017 election of Directors to for the 2018/2019
term and changes the limitation on elected Board members from 4 consecutive
2 year terms (effectively 8 years on and then one year off) to 4 years in
any ten year period (effectively 4 years on and 6 years off).  The impetus
behind me making this motion was a steady increase year over year in the
number of highly qualified candidates, but a general lean year-over-year
toward established candidates.  The Board's goal in approving this was to
increase diversity and hopefully drive new ideas and energy into OWASP.  In
short, you, our Leaders, are the future of OWASP.

This also means that all FOUR of the Director places up for election in
2017 will have no incumbent candidate.  New blood and new ideas will flow
onto the Board, and will hopefully flourish, along with guidance from
current Directors Andrew, Matt, and Johanna as well as our very seasoned
OWASP staff.  I'd like to sincerely thank my fellow Board members for
supporting my motion and opening up the door for what I know will be an
amazingly positive change for our organization.

While we all come from such diverse backgrounds that we won't always agree
on everything, I know that you are all here because you genuinely want to
make OWASP better.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol
Member-at-Large, OWASP Board of Directors