[Owasp-leaders] Meetup.com goes Deep Politcal

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Wed Feb 15 02:21:14 UTC 2017

I will table a discussion (but not a vote, as that requires a motion and I
don't see anything to motion on at this moment) for the next Board meeting
on this topic, but in short, I don't believe this violates OWASP's
non-political stance. The reality is that

   - We use Google for e-mail, and they also have made many political
   statements regarding immigration and diversity, as well as lobby very hard
   in numerous ways that we can't really fathom.
   - We use(d) Rackspace, and yet they sponsor a wide range of
   organizations, including us.
   - We use Verizon for telecommunications, and yet they stand against
   network neutrality.
   - We partner with many organizations, some of whom are direct
   competitors.

If OWASP constantly made decisions relating the shifting sands of lobbying
and power and alliances, we'd still get it wrong as many large firms we
rely on pay lobbyists to gain influence in US politics here and abroad. I
think this is a good discussion to have, but I don't see any immediate
change in our commercial posture unless it's particularly egregarious.

Having a political stance baked into OWASP supply chain decisions is a
political decision, whether we like it or not. Not making a decision is a
political decision. I understand that we will not make everyone happy with
this stance, but I think it should be up to the Board to evaluate this and
make a decision if we change our approach or not. I do not presume to
answer for the entire Board, because that's not how this works.

thanks,
Andrew