[Owasp-leaders] On "Insufficient Attack Protection", and the role of OWASP...

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Wed Apr 12 23:34:23 UTC 2017

There will be lots of discussion on the new Top10 RC, which is great. I
encourage many to bring comments, feedback and data to the conversation.

I'll keep my comments brief. I'm very much in favor of A7. It could use
some word cleanup, perhaps a more fitting title too. But the spirit of
what's being discussed is an important advancement to defending web
applications. (Also, I don't consider this to be a WAF recommendation, I
wouldn't go that route on this at all)

A7 reminds me of the massive credential stuffing attacks issue that has hit
many big sites over the past 18 months. No amount of secure dev, top 10s,
or WAFs stop credential stuffing. Instead you need active defense that is
smartly part of the application design.

So, if A7 draws attention to this type of issue (or similar - see OWASP
automated threats
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Automated_Threats_to_Web_Applications>)
then I consider that a win.

Just my 2cent contribution to the larger conversation.

Carry on security folks!

--
Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>