[Owasp-leaders] Password Reuse Attacks

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri Sep 23 22:04:04 UTC 2016

Here's a way to put the data breaches in perspective for your company.

Imagine if 2% of those 500M Yahoo Users have an account on your site.
That's 10M of your users that are potentially impacted. Now ask yourself
how many users reuse passwords across multiple websites (it could be a
strong password or a weak one, doesn't matter, is it reused?). Let's say
10% reuse passwords. 10% of 10M is 1M users that have passwords that are
now exposed, just waiting to be abused by an attacker. How will your site
handle 1 million compromised accounts?

You can change the numbers as you see fit. But the take away is that a
breach of an unrelated website can lead to millions of your users at risk
through automated reuse password attacks.

--
Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>
OWASP Global Board