[Owasp-leaders] Quickwins for securing applications

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:36:29 UTC 2016

OK, I'll start this off :)
Dont underestimate the value of security headers
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Secure_Headers_Project#tab=Headers
Depending on your environment you might even be able to add some without
changing your application code.

To work out where you are with your 300 apps you could try the ZAP Baseline
scan: https://github.com/zaproxy/zaproxy/wiki/ZAP-Baseline-Scan
This just spiders the specified URL for (by default) 1 minute and then
reports the issues it found via passive scanning. So its quick and safe.
It uses one of the ZAP Docker images and can easily be scripted to scan as
many URLs as you like - the scans typically take < 2 mins in total so you
should be able to scan 300 apps in under 10 hours via one machine.
We use it in Mozilla Cloud Services to scan all of our services every day
and generate a simple dashboard highlighting just the issues we are
interested in.
Unfortunately its a private repo, but I can share the scripts to scan
multiple services and generate the dashboard it theres any interest.

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader