[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Regarding Budget 2017- Allow OWASP members to participate

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu Sep 8 17:13:54 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I appreciate the feedback. As per standard US non-profits, the Board is
ultimately responsible for approving a budget. As treasurer, I am
responsible for helping set a viable budget in concert with the staff and
our advisors. There is no hard and fast rules on how this is done, but the
lines of responsibility are clear.

What's happened in the past is that the budget has been prepared as "same
as last year, nip or tuck here or there". This doesn't necessarily align
with growth or our strategic goals. As such, I want a complete renovation
of the budget, so that it aligns strongly with our current strategic goals
and that we actually spend on things that are important, and allows OWASP
to grow to a $5m per year organisation, where we can do so much more than
we do today.

I don't believe that we can do a website re-do for $35k (a current figure),
but certainly $270k is too much. What I wanted was for Board members to
find things they wanted to do (both existing Board and board nominees), and
ensure that their programs are properly funded so that they feel empowered
to get things started on January 1, and get things done.

There will be tummy tussling, as Josh's viewpoints on chapters funding
demonstrates. My main concern with funding chapters with even more money
than they accrue today is that they have many existing opportunities to
gain funding even without a helping hand from the budget. To be honest,
even the proposed $3m budget is not realistic in this way, as Chapters have
first dibs on any cash that members or sponsors donate directly to their
local chapter, as well as pretty nice splits on local and regional events.
So in reality, if you run an active chapter recruitment program or run a
local event or two, you'll have cash on hand to do even more in your local
area. Will this mean a $0 budget for chapters? Clearly not - they are
currently accruing something in the order of $250k per year between all of
the various chapters.

Even so, I appreciate Josh's feedback, and we need to work out what is a
good budget for chapters for the valid use cases he mentions. I don't want
to see another block donation like we did at the end of 2015, as that cash
has generally just sat around and not been made useful, so I want chapter
leaders to think about how to spend their cash, too. You don't need an
overarching budget approval process for this. In fact, for those very
chapters with > $5k USD balances (see the Donation Scorecard, chapter
leaders should also receive e-mails once a month with the amount), I really
want you to come up with a plan to use that funds in a useful way, or all
but $5k will be swept back into general funds at our December meeting as
per our previously approved Board motion on this matter.

Constructing a viable budget is my responsibility that allows us to
maintain our core administrative capability (i.e. staff and programs),
whilst directing funds to *all* of our strategic goals and all the things
we do. I do look forward to each of the Board members, most of whom have a
specific strategic goal that they have signed up for, working with the
staff, OWASP project leaders and chapter leaders and our general membership
to work out what they'd like to do. The actual $ figure we decide in the
end is a budget, and I do need to make room for contingency and for
operational reserves, so these figures are nowhere near final. Once we are
close (hopefully by the December Board meeting), the Board as a whole will
vote on it and that will become our new budget for 2017.

thanks,
Andrew