[Owasp-leaders] Endorsement 2017/2018 Election

Milton Smith milton.smith at owasp.org
Thu Oct 13 05:38:25 UTC 2016

To all,

I'm a board candidate.  I would like to make make Tom's email a positive
to say that there is more passion how OWASP should be run than ever
before.  So much is at stake and we all have strong opinions around
improvements to OWASP and AppSec in general.  Tom is like me, a former
US Marine, and as Marines we compete at everything we do.  I consider us
friends as I do many of the current board members.  With only 3 seats it
forces us to choose sides and push on each other at times.  I see this
as a healthy competition for OWASP and it benefits members and the
public at large.

The email and the election raises a larger concern for me, OWASP board
positions for practical purposes have no term limits and like many
elections OWASP members favor incumbents when they vote.  A result is
that board members can serve for years.  A bylaw passed on Feb 11, 2013
established a board member term of "4 consecutive 2 year terms".  This
is not same as 4 terms total.  If elected I will put forth a motion that
bylaws be improved so board members may only be elected for 4 terms
total.  This will apply to me and other elected members.  Improving term
limits provides plenty of time for new leaders to make a positive impact
while also breathing continuous change into OWASP.  Also since OWASP
board positions are unpaid it reduces impact of any competing business
interests over the organization whether real or perceived.

Regards,
Milton Smith