[Owasp-leaders] Feedback on projects names

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Mon Oct 3 16:05:04 UTC 2016

You are absolutely right, naming a project is extremely difficult and, I
imagine, frustrating when the leader just wants to move forward with the
project.  This is why I think some guidelines and specific examples will be
helpful to leaders.  It is sometimes easier to work within limitations than
it is to evaluate everything wholesale.

Off of the top of my head, I think  simply being more specific is helpful.
For instance:

1)Try not to make the name of your project simply a descriptor as those are
not subject to copyright protection. "The Open Web Application Security
Project" may not be copyright-able, but "OWASP" is.

2)Consider how google will be used to find your project.  "The Website
Project" is the name for OWASP's website redesign.  It is difficult for
google to differentiate it from dozens of other pages.

3)The name will set the tone of your future marketing and does not need to
be directly representative of your project.  For example, "Angular" has
nothing to do with  JavaScript libraries and web browsers are not
associated with fire nor foxes, but we all know what they refer to. However
here are some good example of representative names: Juice Shop is fun and
irreverent and references the Javascript library.  It is a great name for a
vulnerable web store and lends to enthusiastic tones in marketing.  Zed
Attack Proxy sounds militaristic-which is a solid choice for a penetration
testing tool. ZAP is onomatopoetic and a great representation for
eliminating bugs and vulnerabilities. Both are memorable for those reasons.

4) I imagine there might be a couple more.

Would these have helped you name ZAP? Or at least have laid out some of the
considerations earlier in your process?

Tiffany Long
Community Manager