[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: [SAMM] Estimating Business Risk Profile

Ian Gorrie ian.gorrie at owasp.org
Wed Nov 30 19:03:04 UTC 2016

There's a few ways to look at this depending on the executive culture
involved.  Unless they're a financial or insurance related, most have no
context for affirmative risk acceptance and will lean very heavily on any
who bring it up.  Be prepared, because you usually only get one shot at a
green fields conversation.

Also there's a lot of strange BS in this area, so try to keep things
practical and in context of what is relevant to your audience; don't try to
go too far in doing an overall risk assessment for everyone/everything
right away.

Here's what I would suggest taking a look at.

[[ see attached ]]
ISO and FISMA (for feds) are the usual choices in my experience for risk
management and acceptance exercises.  There are vendor tools that can make
walking through the ISO questionnaires an interactive process.
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_31000_for_smes.pdf

Some context into the mess and overlap of internal audit and pure-play risk
managers
https://iaonline.theiia.org/blogs/marks/2016/Pages/The-Value-Gap-Between-Internal-Audit-and-Our-Stakeholders.aspx
https://www.iia.org.uk/media/266012/rbia_overview.jpg

You'll notice that none of these are ever the same unless you're employing
a giant firm with their proprietary methodology to do it.

It's the exercise that's important, not the flavor of the kool-aid.

Please let me know if this is helpful feedback.

-i