[Owasp-leaders] Advocating for OWASP Projects - need your help

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Sun Nov 13 22:10:12 UTC 2016

Matt,

Please talk to me offline, and let's see what I can do. The budget requests
for FY17 are still being processed, and to ask on a Friday and to expect an
answer over the weekend is unrealistic. If this was coming directly from
Zap's budget, there is no issue at all - projects can spend their funds as
they wish.

@Simon - let's talk about introducing a motion in December's board meeting
to address the supporter question as you're 100% right, both Mozilla and
Linux Foundation should be credited as sponsors of OWASP considering their
contributions, but we need to make sure we get this right, as we've had a
lot of purity discussions that end up going nowhere because the purists
often will not acknowledge that OWASP is altruistic, yes, but we need
sponsors to work with us, and not abandon us. I do want to find a way
forward on this that doesn't end up with sponsor logos everywhere, but the
right sponsors acknowledged in the right way for all projects.

I am supportive of spending on mission, there is no issue here. Spending in
FY16 is a bit tricky as although we have funds due to better than expected
AppSec profitability this year, we need to ensure that there is no large
unbudgetted expenditures.

This is why it's CRITICAL that everyone puts in budget requests for next
year. The squeaky wheels will be addressed in priority order.

thanks,
Andrew