[Owasp-leaders] Advocating for OWASP Projects - need your help

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Fri Nov 11 17:34:18 UTC 2016

Apologies for posting the same thing to two lists, but I wanted to share my
thoughts more broadly than just the board list.

<http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2016-November/017621.html>, I
wrote the following.

TLDR:  When projects have so little funds vs chapters, why does it take 21
emails to spend 1.4% of the Project Outreach budget on Zap - one of our
project Rockstars.

              #1       #2       #3       #4      #5      Total of 1 to 5
Chapter  | 123,421 | 54,515 | 49,726 | 32,146 | 32,146 | 291,954 |
Projects |  18,972 |  8,373 |  4,939 |  4,116 |  4,000 |  40,400 |
Percent    |       15%      |       15%     |       10%    |       13%    |
       12%    |       14%      |
of Project vs Chapter

More fun facts:
Chapter with 3 or more digits of unspent funds ($1,000+): 74
Projects with 3 or more digits of unspent funds ($1,000+): 13

So, in a time where part my job as a full-time OWASP staff is to prepare
and budget for 2017 to try to make projects better, I think it time I
become a strong and vocal advocate for Projects at OWASP.

I think Chapters are great - I'm involved in 2 of them in Texas - but
Chapters don't seem to need a vocal advocate.  Plus, if you think Projects
are of equal importance to Chapters at OWASP, we have to seriously
reallocate funds in 2017 to get them on equal footing.

So, for the Project leaders at OWASP, I'm with you and want to make
Projects a great home for your awesome work.  Please let me know what isn't
working for you and I'll do everything I can to get your interests
represented in the 2017 budget and beyond.

Cheers!

</rant>

--
-- Matt Tesauro