[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Access Management Policy

Justin Ferguson justin.ferguson at owasp.org
Fri Nov 11 00:04:14 UTC 2016

I'm inclined to agree with Larry for the most part.   In the security
world, anonymity tends to be valued, and asking members to register for all
meetings with positive identification would have chilling effects on
attendance at my chapter, at least.  Obviously, hosting an event at a
facility which requires a guest list is a different story, and that, IMO,
would be up to the potential member to make a decision between the value of
the meeting vs. their anonymity for a specific meeting.

Additionally, there are a number of "gotchas" with a policy like this -
vis-a-vis the problems that came up with Google's "Real Names" policy for
Google Plus, and the issues with people whose IDs might not match their
preferred identity (i.e. transgender members).   My inclination is that
this is something that would have the potential to turn away members, and
it would not be something I would want to implement at my chapter.

I understand social media can be a tough thing to manage, but it seems like
the optimal solution might be to either engage more trusted members for
monitoring of social media for inappropriateness, or (depending on the
social network in question) turn on some form of moderation.

Justin Ferguson
OWASP-Kansas City
Chapter Leader