[Owasp-leaders] Bring balance: force verification in scanning tools

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Mon May 23 19:31:53 UTC 2016

>>There is nothing stopping defenders from using "attacking" tools to
secure their networks, servers, etc. After all we all port scan and
vulnerability scan our infrastructure, right?

Hi Liam

I can see majority of the people answering are pen testers. I'm a developer
that learn pen testing to so called 'secure' apps

 It all depends on the technology and system.You find the holes but this
per se does not fix them or even worse, makes you realise that if the
developer knew how to code securely from the beginning a lot of headaches
could have been avoided.

Recently I tested a .NET app build using 3.5 SP1 and no master pages or
MVC(available in +4). The so called 'ViewState' did not help against CRSF .
In fact the developer has to rebuild the whole thing using MVC +.NET 4.0.if
he wants to protect this properly.

IS it feasible at this point? Nope. Will the company release the code even
with the issue? Yep.

pen testing only helps find the wholes. Fixing them is another
story.Hacking tools don't help you 'secure' applications. They only help
you verify the security built by them.

Another anecdote. I used to work as RPG developer for a legacy AS/400
banking system. The whole things works with cgi (yikes!)
The pen tester found a CRSF attack. The architect said: prove it. Then the
bug headache came: How to fix this?
Yes, it was a headache to fix and it did not happened immediately.In fact
that architect 'hates' pen testers...😜

I think we should stop this discussion.

I think I'm starting a survey just to check how many of you work defending
applications, I mean like *patching, fixing vulnerabilities in code*, so I
might verify if I'm the only developer in OWASP trying to defend
applications and that I'm alone among pen testers...

Then I'm definitely in the wrong community 😁

Cheers

Johanna

--
Johanna Curiel