[Owasp-leaders] Bring balance: force verification in scanning tools

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun May 22 22:55:47 UTC 2016

Definitely Bev :-)

In fact this is the kind of thing we should discuss.Should we start a
formal process to bring this to a panel discussion?
I started developing a tool 'Nmapalyzer':
https://github.com/ossecsoft/nmapalyzer
Is a tool to identify the data packages sent by NMAP probes. Reverse
engineering of nmap TCP sent packages to a target machine
https://www.gitbook.com/book/marylinh/nmapalyzer/details

So Bev, there are commercial solutions doing this and some OS but not
extensively. My plan with the Nmapalyzer is to help detect network
traffic(passive) and set  the information with a nice dashboard. It is in
research phase right now.

>>But given that it IS open source, a hacker would simply fork it on GitHub
or BitBucket or wherever and just point fellow black hats at the modified
source at some other URL.

Simply?😏 He do you have fellow blackhat friends that give you exploit kits
for free?

blackhats don't give anything for free.Which blackhats are developing 'open
source hacking tools' and giving tools for free like we do? No one, wether
you pay 1 dollar or 300 for anything, they need to make a living.

Have you check ZAP code? Maybe this part should not be at all documented .
Believe me he will move to BURP or tamper data faster than just go and take
the time to change this. and give it for free...

Now a professional blackhat will invest his time/money and distribute a
version but it will charge some money for it, just as done with malware
exploitation kits.

I bet you 100USD than the moment ZAP does this, download of this new
version will decrease by 50% and  a blackhat will make a version for sale
for a very good price in the dark web (charge USD20 instead of buying BURP
for USD300/year)
Want to bet?

--
Johanna Curiel