[Owasp-leaders] Professionalism and the Future of OWASP

Milton Smith milton.smith at owasp.org
Fri May 20 17:49:49 UTC 2016

Well said, Josh.  I would also go so far as to say OWASP does not have
to please all members all the time.  After all, we voted for "You".  We
expect all our OWASP leaders will keep our desires in mind when making
decisions.  I'm a believer in the Meritocratic approach but voting on
every issue is too noisy and distracting.  We voted on the leaders and
that should be good enough.  If you said you were going to do X,Y,Z when
you were elected, and you were elected, then your budget is
retroactively approved to spend the money and get it done!  We should
also begin to take OWASP governance very seriously.  It could be the
full-time job of a person or two.  A small example, OWASP logo bitching
and complaining is ridiculous and there are many others.  I have
actually been told to pull Oracle's logo off my slides before a session
I was presenting on Java (a free and open source project).  Establish
documented rules and documented consequences.  If a detestable action
occurs which there is no rule then let that person/organization do it.
Let it be a learning experience then establish future policies that
prohibit the action.  Establish policies for resolving member grievances
with board decisions.  Members should be able to override board
decisions in a formal way.  Complaining on public email lists should not
be allowed or at least discouraged.

I said it last year and I am saying it this year, OWASP cannot code it's
way out of security challenges.  We need to grow up as an organization.
We need to start working security from the top down.  In case nobody has
noticed, while members debate over the nuances of which cipher suite to
use governments are passing completely horrible security policies that
make the world a worse place for everyone.  We can't shut a "back door"
with a better security APIs.  I know this stuff is boring to members but
working with government security policy makers is essential.  I'm not
suggesting we should invest ourselves in the privacy debates between
governments and citizens.  Still there's many opportunities where we can
influence information security policy by providing our expertise.  For
example, there is a bill proposed, Cyber Security Disclosure Act of
2015(SB.2410) that directs companies to appoint a security expert
(CISO/CSO) to the board.  I recently returned from a cyber insurance
forum at Stanford University and let me say industry does not feel
responsible for security.  The state Insurance Commissioner for
California considers exploitation of information systems in many ways
like a fire, flood, or other acts of God.  This is completely
ridiculous, code is written by developers and vulnerabilities are
entirely man made.  Many at the forum expressed a sentiment that no
matter how hard organizations try, vulnerabilities are unavoidable.
This mentality is like suggesting diet and exercise is worthless since
we are all going to die anyway.  There were many other equally
ridiculous ideas presented.  The people at this forum are significant
and influential leaders.  They are bright people but they don't
understand application security like we do.  Perhaps perfect security is
unattainable but acceptable or reasonable security is within our grasp.
Application security can be far better than it is today.  We need to be
positively influencing opinion on security, software developer's coders,
policy makers, general public, new appsec professionals, CISO/CSO, etc.
Changing hearts and minds on security can have a powerful impact.
Thoughtfully influencing the minds and hearts can have a powerful
positive impact.

I like Josh's idea for the formal CTO position, maybe a Chief Policy
Officer(CPO), and others as well.  Some leadership roles should focus on
running the organization, member needs, while new positions set and
pursue a vision.  Let's figure out where we want to influence and invest
in those areas.  Let's improve ourselves, our governance, let's set the
bar high and make some changes.  OWASP has a voice.  Let's use it!

--Milton Smith