[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Professionalism and the Future of OWASP

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:15:00 UTC 2016

Hey Josh,

Thanks for starting this discussion :)
I agree with many of your points, but (as you allude to) OWASP doesnt
actually have that many direct resources at the moment, and by that I mean
employees.
Pretty much all of the security work (as opposed to the very valuable and
necessary organisational work) is performed by volunteers.
Volunteers choose where they spend their time, so a huge part of a CTO role
would be trying to sell the direction chosen. Not an easy task :/
I think it would be great if OWASP could align itself behind a limited set
of projects, but I worry that this might be really hard to achieve.
ZAP is the most popular and active OWASP code project, but right now 3 of
us have made the vast majority of enhancements that will be going into the
next release. And 2 out of the 3 are paid to work on ZAP by other open
source based organisations ;)
Anyone have any ideas how we can encourage volunteers to focus on specific
projects rather than spreading all of our efforts across 100s of them?

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader