[Owasp-leaders] Are we helping Hackers or helping Application security?

Tony UV tonyuv at owasp.org
Fri May 20 02:14:32 UTC 2016

1. If giving an F is hating on a tool versus understanding the threat
actors and real threat motives, then sorry to break it to you that the
Catalan police don't give a "PM" (spanish) or "F" about your F.
2. Having more defender tools will still not instruct 'security
professionals' to interact effectively with developers.  Knowing the
precepts of coding, development frameworks, threat modeling, good
architecture will.  So in terms of more defender tools helping, that
wouldn't do jack.
3. ModSecurity Ruleset is highly utilized individually and by commercial
products that have pwned its G status effectiveness and baked it into their
commercial rule sets.  Maybe not as hyped as ZAP but per other previous
4. Your right.  Too much pen tester rhetoric.  But I say up the level and
call it what it is - attack.  No hacker is like 'hey boss, i'm gonna pen
test this web api real quick'. Get real.  We need more pros to understand
real criminal exploitation and leave this pen testing BS for PCI 3.2.  This
includes a greater understanding of encoding techniques for obfuscating
payloads, new evasion techniques, payloads against new web app frameworks,
reversing, etc. This is real stuff that transcends simply payload replaying
via tools and we need more of that skill set in order to educate developers
on how these parameters get compromised b/c of well crafted payloads.
5.  Helping Dev shops requires more understanding of things that they are
working with, but crawl, walk, run.  Right now, IMHO, I think most want to
know how to break and are still maturing there.  From there, they'll run
into the wall of not being able to message to dev teams.  Then they'll need
to mature in that respect and either (a) tell them countermeasures that are
upstream from the API or service listener or whatever (WEAK) or (b) help
them to improve their secure coding measures and leveraging of security
class objects in frameworks, hardening techniques, secure coding snippets,
etc.  OWASP Cheatsheets, Secure Dev Guide all help with this btw so
recognize.

Not gonna get into the whole US violent BS. Stay topical to appsec and
leave the political remarks for the comments section of Anderson Cooper's
blog.  I can gladly entertain those later if you want to debate causal
factors at BH/ DC over pisco sours.