[Owasp-leaders] New supporter logos

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed May 18 23:12:57 UTC 2016

>>To make this clear: I will rather swallow my keyboard instead of doing
this. In fact I am trying to fight those cases but to me it seems that
either nobody is listening or OWASP became a vendor driven organization.

I share Dirk's concerns.

This new supporter logo can cause more brand abuses because the uses of it
 has not being properly defined.

So far is a free for all, like Dirk said. This does not have yet a TM on it
and it should have it first before going to promote it . Also specify in
which cases can be used. Now it can be completely abused without OWASP
being able to have any legal framework to avoid this.

 If anyone is following social media,  rumour has it OWASP is a vendor
ground.

I think I'm an OWASP supporter, I'm not benefiting financially on (ab)using
the OWASP name cause in my country people even has no idea what OWASP is.
I assume those in US and EU can be more interest in (ab)use it.

The problem is that it misleads people into think that OWASP has an
'approval seal' on anything a vendor or individual does.

Are we promoting more our 'vendor neutrality' with this? I don't think so.

Now is a free for all. Good luck checking abuses. No legal framework right
now for control.

--
Johanna Curiel
OWASP Volunteer